Dosing pump for 0.01ml/0.05ml

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
do you know if Kamoer KFS dual gear (not the one with stepper motor) is able to dose 0.01ml (or 0.05ml) realiable as single dose ?
In example, I need something able to dose 1 drop reliable as single dosage, for zeovit.

Alternatives ? Just the pump, I don't need software or controller as i'm planning to use reef-pi.

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it very much you would need a stepper motor doser for 0.01-0.05ml dosing accurately

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even Kamoer KFS dual gear aren't able to dose 0.05ml ? they are rate 1ml or 4ml per minutes (based on tube size), so dosing for 1 second should give 0.01ml or 0.06ml

any experience on this ?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are rate 1ml or 4ml per minutes (based on tube size), so dosing for 1 second should give 0.01ml or 0.06ml
That's not how it works. Peristaltic pumps don't continuously pump the same volume all the time, they surge between the roller positions. So if you have a dosing head with 3 rollers, multiples of 1/3rd of a turn is the smallest dose you could do consistently, and even then there's going to be drift where you don't perfectly stop at the end of a surge.

How much reliability do you really need though? I got the standard cheap nkp dosers with thinner tubing down to dose dropwise with an error every 11th dose or so (probably due to said drift). I don't think more is practical, evaporation and crystallization on the nozzle is going to affect accuracy too.

What are you dosing that you can't dilute 5x or 10x with RODI? I stopped worrying about dropwise accuracy, dilution is just way less finicky and more convenient

If you really really want 1 drop doses you should get a syringe pump

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could use dilution, but being able to directly dose 0.4ml twice a day (this is the small amount I need at the moment) without diluite is practical.

So, with NKP are you able to dose properly more or less one drop with an error every 11th drops ? An KFS, even with 1 gear, should be even mor precise, right ?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In testing conditions (as in dose 1 drop, wait a couple seconds, repeat) I can, yes. Nkp with 1mm inner tubing diameter. That doesn't mean it will work the same if I tried to dose a drop, wait 6 hours, dose another drop though. You'd have to finetune the dosing time and speed for a specific amount of evaporation that will happen between doses. And that's not going to be constant across time of year or even day either.

Using reefpi as well btw

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you suggest to dose 0.4ml realiable ?
If that's not possible, i'll diluite, but I think not all zeovit products can be diluited

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, right, i missed that, if it's just 0.4 you need then the whole thing is easier. You don't need dropwise accuracy for that.

You'll just have to be content that it's sometimes 0.35, sometimes 0.45, sometimes 0.5 and it will average out over time. The swings between doses are larger than that anyway

Briansreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not how it works. Peristaltic pumps don't continuously pump the same volume all the time, they surge between the roller positions. So if you have a dosing head with 3 rollers, multiples of 1/3rd of a turn is the smallest dose you could do consistently, and even then there's going to be drift where you don't perfectly stop at the end of a surge.

How much reliability do you really need though? I got the standard cheap nkp dosers with thinner tubing down to dose dropwise with an error every 11th dose or so (probably due to said drift). I don't think more is practical, evaporation and crystallization on the nozzle is going to affect accuracy too.

What are you dosing that you can't dilute 5x or 10x with RODI? I stopped worrying about dropwise accuracy, dilution is just way less finicky and more convenient

If you really really want 1 drop doses you should get a syringe pump
A bit old to be replying to, but just had to say this helped me immensely. Way I didn’t think to dilute IDK. I’ve been looking and looking for a Doser to dose .25 ml … problem solved! Thanks

Back