Dosing schedule

Schu Fly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

I use a Neptune DOS for 2 part and my dosing lines are too close together (I have the magnetic bracket). I've noticed precipitate on the sump wall and was wondering if it's as simple as setting my Apex for 12 hours of Ca and 12 hours of Alk. I've read that Ca during the day and Alk at night is a good option.
Ultimately, is it as easy as setting all my Ca (45ml) for those 12 hours and all my Alk (45ml) for the other 12 hours?
Thanks in advance!

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely have the right idea. Spreading out the dosages over a 24 hour time period is a good idea. Alternating between Alk and Can is the best bet. If dosing both at the same time, the likelihood of having the 2 part precipitate out is high.
Having some buildup is pretty common. The way I and other reefers handle this is having your ATO line "wash" the area where the 2 part is being added. As often as the ATO goes off is how often the area is being washed down.

Sharir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose soda ash(Alkilinity) when there are many people and pets in the room where my tank is this is to prevent pH swings when there is many people in the room breathing out large amounts of CO2 and when there is not anyone in the room. I dose calcium during the day and when less people are at home that is when everyone is at school or work. This maintains a stable pH.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a co2 scrubber if you are trying to cut down on co2. What is the dKH of your tank? pH honestly doesn’t even matter that much. I’ve tested it less than 5 times in my entire reefing career.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somewhere around here a nifty little trick for preventing not only precip on the sump walls, but the crusty bit on the end of your dosing line that can clog the line.

Take a airline T fitting, plug your ATO line into one side, ALK line into the other, then a small peice that goes into your sump. When your ATO fires off it washes down the ALK line.

Been doing that since I read it on here several months ago, and haven't had an issue since.

Sharir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somewhere around here a nifty little trick for preventing not only precip on the sump walls, but the crusty bit on the end of your dosing line that can clog the line.

Take a airline T fitting, plug your ATO line into one side, ALK line into the other, then a small peice that goes into your sump. When your ATO fires off it washes down the ALK line.

Been doing that since I read it on here several months ago, and haven't had an issue since.
Very good idear @homer1475. :p:cool:

OP
OP
Schu Fly

Schu Fly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I watched that video yesterday (at work) . My pH is usually between 7.9 and 8.2. I like to keep my dkh in the 8.3-8.6 range. I assume it will rise above that if I dose all my 45ml of soda ash in a 12 hour period. Just wondering if anyone has experience with dosing a split schedule like this.

Sharir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise you to dose the soda ash the time of the day that there is the most amount of
People and pets at home. My logic behind this is that the more people /pets that are breathing in the room/house, the greater the a Mount of CO2 in the air (modern homes can reach high CO2 concentration +-50 000ppm whereas outdoor CO2 levels are more around +-350 ppm) ;the greater the amount of CO2 in the air means increasing amounts of carbonic acid in our reef tanks this drops the pH. Since soda ash raises pH then that can bring the pH back up too.

This means that you are able to dose more soda ash without the tanks pH sky-rocketing
So I would pick 2 or more depending on how you want to split your dose times in the day an observe the pH and tweak it from there... If all else fails then dose a small amount of vinegar
(+-1 tbsp) to prevent pH from sky-rocketing.

Sharir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I watched that video yesterday (at work) . My pH is usually between 7.9 and 8.2. I like to keep my dkh in the 8.3-8.6 range. I assume it will rise above that if I dose all my 45ml of soda ash in a 12 hour period. Just wondering if anyone has experience with dosing a split schedule like this.
No problem you are welcome to bother me any time of day;)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your worried about your PH rising to much, you could also switch to just plain baking soda as opposed to soda ash as to not increase the PH on the addition.

Just google Randy's DIY 2 part, and use the second recipe for Alkalinity supplement.

FWIW you do have to add significantly more of the second recipe then the first as the mix is not as concentrated.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back