Dosing, Storage, and Sizing Recommendations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everybody! One of our supporters mentioned that it would be handy to have everything you need for reference in a single place. So let's talk about dosing, storage, and sizing!

Dosing Phytoplankton

If this is your first time dosing phyto in your tank, we suggest starting with 5 ml per 10 gallons of system volume (tank + sump) every day. After a couple weeks, if you're seeing positive results and your nutrient levels are where you want them, we suggest increasing your dosage to 10 ml per 10 gallons of system volume, every day. All orders ship out with syringes to help with dosing!

What does live phyto do to my nutrient levels? Most people report that adding our live phyto causes their nutrient levels to drop (phyto consumes nitrates and phosphates, then the phyto gets eaten by your coral, causing your levels to drop). However, reef tanks are extremely complex ecosystems, and every tank is different.

Do I need phytoplankton if I don't have coral? Our live phyto can help your tank even if you don't have much or any coral. Phytoplankton feeds your microfauna, such as copepods, which keep your tank ecosystem balanced and keep your tank clean. Also, our six species blend of phytoplankton consists of living algae cells, so you're also adding biodiversity to your tank. Some have reported that adding good algae (phytoplankton) causes bad algae to be out-competed in their tanks. Phyto is also important for other filter feeders, such as clams and feather dusters.

Dosing Copepods

We suggest turning off all flow in your tank and adding your entire bottle or jug of copepods all at once. This gets them into your tank immediately, where they can begin consuming detritus and reproducing. After about an hour, it's safe to turn your flow back on. The copepods we sell tend to cling to surfaces, so relatively few will be swept into your overflows. As such, filter socks, skimmers, and UV sterilizers aren't usually a problem. While your filtration will likely remove a small percentage of your pod population, most will be clinging to rocks and sand and won't be bothered.

We suggest dosing half your pods into your tank and half in the refugium area of your sump, if you have one. Otherwise, just add them all to the tank. A sump is not necessary in order to create a self-sustaining population of copepods, although it does help.

Storage

Our live phytoplankton will last about 3-4 months in the fridge if shaken every couple days. Shaking the phyto is important; over time the living cells will tend to settle to the bottom, where they can be smothered by other cells becoming layered on top of them. Shaking your phyto periodically helps keep all the cells suspended. Phytoplankton is comprised of living plant cells, and like most plants, when put in the cold and dark, they go into dormancy. This allows them to last for months before dying.

We do not suggest storing our copepods, as they have a relatively short shelf life. Unlike phytoplankton, these are living animals and most of them don't go "dormant." They continue to need food and oxygen, and if left in the bottle they will eventually die due to lack of those resources. If you absolutely must keep your pods in their bottle for a few days, please take the lid off and feed them a few drops of phyto each day.

Sizing

The amount of phytoplankton and copepods you need will depend on the size of your tank. We have a handy guide here:

Sizing Guide

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is some great information. Thank you :)

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does the phyto last?
Storage

Our live phytoplankton will last about 3-4 months in the fridge if shaken every couple days. Shaking the phyto is important; over time the living cells will tend to settle to the bottom, where they can be smothered by other cells becoming layered on top of them. Shaking your phyto periodically helps keep all the cells suspended. Phytoplankton is comprised of living plant cells, and like most plants, when put in the cold and dark, they go into dormancy. This allows them to last for months before dying.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Storage

So...let's say I've only shaken it like once a week. Should I throw it out?

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good question. Is there a reliable way to tell if the product is still good @Dinkins Aquatic Gardens ?

I would imagine if you are using it everyday it’s getting shaken up just from moving it around but if you had a full container just sitting in the fridge not being used, I don’t know.

OP
OP
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

That’s a good question. Is there a reliable way to tell if the product is still good @Dinkins Aquatic Gardens ?

I would imagine if you are using it everyday it’s getting shaken up just from moving it around but if you had a full container just sitting in the fridge not being used, I don’t know.

I hear if it smells like rotten eggs, throw it out.

Great questions - and answer!

Shaking your bottle once a week is probably fine. @woodyarmadillo is absolutely right, too - if it's the bottle you actively use daily, just moving it around to dose is most likely all you need.

@ktfloyd01 is absolutely correct. Your phyto should range in smell from "ocean" or "grassy" to "cooked broccoli." Most people will find that their phyto smells strong, even pungent, but something like cooked vegetables. That's because of the red and brown we use, both of which have stronger smells. On the other hand, if your bottle smells like death - rotten eggs, skimmate, etc., then it's not good anymore and should be discarded.

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody! One of our supporters mentioned that it would be handy to have everything you need for reference in a single place. So let's talk about dosing, storage, and sizing!

Dosing Phytoplankton

If this is your first time dosing phyto in your tank, we suggest starting with 5 ml per 10 gallons of system volume (tank + sump). After a couple weeks, if you're seeing positive results and your nutrient levels are where you want them, we suggest increasing your dosage to 10 ml per 10 gallons of system volume. We suggest dosing live phyto every day - your coral will enjoy the consistency. All orders ship out with syringes to help with dosing!

What does live phyto do to my nutrient levels? Most people report that adding our live phyto causes their nutrient levels to drop (phyto consumes nitrates and phosphates, then the phyto gets eaten by your coral, causing your levels to drop). However, reef tanks are extremely complex ecosystems, and every tank is different.

Do I need phytoplankton if I don't have coral? Our live phyto can help your tank even if you don't have much or any coral. Phytoplankton feeds your microfauna, such as copepods, which keep your tank ecosystem balanced and keep your tank clean. Also, our six species blend of phytoplankton consists of living algae cells, so you're also adding biodiversity to your tank. Some have reported that adding good algae (phytoplankton) causes bad algae to be out-competed in their tanks. Phyto is also important for other filter feeders, such as clams and feather dusters.

Dosing Copepods

We suggest turning off all flow in your tank and adding your entire bottle or jug of copepods all at once. This gets them into your tank immediately, where they can begin consuming detritus and reproducing. After about an hour, it's safe to turn your flow back on. The copepods we sell tend to cling to surfaces, so relatively few will be swept into your overflows. As such, filter socks, skimmers, and UV sterilizers aren't usually a problem. While your filtration will likely remove a small percentage of your pod population, most will be clinging to rocks and sand and won't be bothered.

We suggest dosing half your pods into your tank and half in the refugium area of your sump, if you have one. Otherwise, just add them all to the tank. A sump is not necessary in order to create a self-sustaining population of copepods, although it does help.

Storage

We do not suggest storing our copepods, as they have a relatively short shelf life. Unlike phytoplankton, these are living animals and most of them don't go "dormant." They continue to need food and oxygen, and if left in the bottle they will eventually die due to lack of those resources. If you absolutely must keep your pods in their bottle for a few days, please take the lid off and feed them a few drops of phyto each day.

Sizing

The amount of phytoplankton and copepods you need will depend on the size of your tank. We have a handy guide here:

Sizing Guide
So the 10 ml per 10 gallons is per day? Or is that per week…?

OP
OP
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So the 10 ml per 10 gallons is per day? Or is that per week…?
Correct, that’s our suggested daily dosage. You can dose less than that if desired, but it’s important to be consistent with either daily or every other day dosing.

OP
OP
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When do I start to add pods and phyto?

New tank. Set up a month ago. Haven't turned the lights on yet. Started with dry rock that was seeded with mature live rock for 4 months.
Great question! We suggest adding pods (and feeding them phyto) as soon as the tank is cycled. As soon as ammonia levels hit zero, go for it!

OP
OP
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. I will look to put an order together. Was concerned thatvthere was nothing for the pods to eat :)
That’s awesome!

You’ll definitely want to dose phyto to feed them until you get enough detritus producing fish

oldbob50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow my own Phyto and Copepods. The main display tank at 95 gallons (LPS aand Sps) gets 100 ml of Phyto per day and one 8 oz bottle of Copepods a week. The 50 gallon Softies tank get 100 ml of Phyto per day and one 8 oz bottle of pods per month.

OP
OP
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have to dose phyto indefinitely for the copepods? What if you are adding to an established tank with livestock?

Technically no, you definitely don't have to feed phytoplankton to the copepods indefinitely. However, your pod population will grow much faster if you supplement their main diet (detritus) with phytoplankton. It gives them more of a well-rounded nutritional profile (think of how much healthier you are if you eat your fruits and veggies, not just pizza all the time!).

In a brand new tank with no or little livestock, however, you'll definitely want to feed phyto to make sure they don't starve before sufficient detritus builds up.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 78 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back