Dosing Trace Elements - Timing?

PopBot16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know or know of a good source for dosing timing info for trace elements? Not Alk and Calc. Things like iodine, potassium, strontium, iron, etc.? Mostly for softy/LPS tanks (but maybe SPS eventually). I'm sure daily is ideal, but I'm wondering how daily compares to weekly, as weekly would be much more doable without a dosing pump.

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know or know of a good source for dosing timing info for trace elements? Not Alk and Calc. Things like iodine, potassium, strontium, iron, etc.? Mostly for softy/LPS tanks (but maybe SPS eventually). I'm sure daily is ideal, but I'm wondering how daily compares to weekly, as weekly would be much more doable without a dosing pump.
I've started the Reef Moonshiner's method a few months ago. He has a free handbook online that you can read. Their method has several elements dosed daily and others dosed weekly or monthly per ICP results. I've had absolutely fantastic results since starting.

OP
OP
P

PopBot16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started the Reef Moonshiner's method a few months ago. He has a free handbook online that you can read. Their method has several elements dosed daily and others dosed weekly or monthly per ICP results. I've had absolutely fantastic results since starting.
Thanks, I'll check out that method.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weekly is fine, I'd think.
K and Sr aren't trace elements that get depleted to zero. They are consistently present, anything more than a weekly (maybe monthly) adjustment is needless.

I, Fe etc : These things get taken up by organisms and held internally. Organisms won't be noticeably negatively impacted if the water has no Fe (etc) in it for a few days. I can't think of any trace element that daily dosing would be noticeably better than weekly.

my $0.02

OP
OP
P

PopBot16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weekly is fine, I'd think.
K and Sr aren't trace elements that get depleted to zero. They are consistently present, anything more than a weekly (maybe monthly) adjustment is needless.

I, Fe etc : These things get taken up by organisms and held internally. Organisms won't be noticeably negatively impacted if the water has no Fe (etc) in it for a few days. I can't think of any trace element that daily dosing would be noticeably better than weekly.

my $0.02
Thanks for the reply! I may do the experiment and see what happens. I probably should have mentioned that I carbon dose, so I don't do WCs. I suppose I need to switch to weekly, then send in an ICP test 1 day after the weekly dose and another one right before the weekly dose to see the high and low of each element, and adjust my weekly amounts from there.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back