Doug's 1400 gal Dream Marine Aquarium - 2nd Topic: 1x1400gal or 2 x 800gal?

DJKNOX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So although I've always wanted a monster aquarium - ie 1400 gal - there is the reality that so many cool species are not compatible. For compatibility, I could see 3 separate tanks as being near ideal, but alas that is more than I want to tackle. But two tanks could really open up opportunities: think tank 1 with limited corals and invertebrates but having triggers, puffers/boxfish, large angels, tangs, butterflies, wrasses, damsels and maybe even a lionfish and/or an eel; and 2nd tank being a full reef (lots of coral and anemones) and all the great reef fish like dwarf angels, gobies, blennies, dragonets, idols, cardinals, hawkfish, jawfish, clowns, basslets, anthias and lots of crustaceans. Only question is where to put the filefish and pipefish? :rolleyes: As I am using a basement fish room, I could even connect both to the same filter systems. So the "pros" are obvious. Cons? Well, setup cost will even be higher than the crazy costs I'm already looking at... and general room layout for displaying both in the same area would be a challenge. And of course no monster aquarium but still very large.

Anyone out there tried running two tanks like this before? Or any monster tank owners who regret not going for two smaller tanks? This is a key decision I must make and would value others' experiences...

Last edited:

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have a similar struggle in my head right now. Finally have the house with walk-in basement for a big tank, fish room, “big kid” job, and the wife is super on board with the hobby...

But pricing out glass 1500 the other day vs 2-3 500-800 gallon tanks, getting multiple tanks is somehow cheaper!

It is very doable to run several tanks on one sump, provided redundancy of critical life support equipment (in case you need to temporarily run them separate in an emergency) and OVERSIZE your sump (maybe with an emergency overflow that drains to an in basement sump in the case of a power outage.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also look at a heat exchanger with your home’s water heater and have a humidity and electrical plan in place before you fill

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I run a multi tank system with two main displays 480gal reef and 720gal big fish tank. In my fish room I run a 265gal & 120gal sump, 150gal refugium, and 50gal frag tank so my total system water volume is ~1700gal. Plumbing it all together is the way to go and I could not be happier with the way my system runs. I will vote for two tanks over one to keep a coral reef and non reef safe fish. Having the tanks tied to one a common filtration system makes It easy to maintain.

OP
OP
D

DJKNOX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have a similar struggle in my head right now. Finally have the house with walk-in basement for a big tank, fish room, “big kid” job, and the wife is super on board with the hobby...

But pricing out glass 1500 the other day vs 2-3 500-800 gallon tanks, getting multiple tanks is somehow cheaper!

It is very doable to run several tanks on one sump, provided redundancy of critical life support equipment (in case you need to temporarily run them separate in an emergency) and OVERSIZE your sump (maybe with an emergency overflow that drains to an in basement sump in the case of a power outage.
Thanks Smarkow. Great to hear you have a cooperative spouse and a walk-in basement. Perfect lol! Cost comparison is tricky unless you're paying someone else to do this and you have quotations. The smaller tanks end up using more glass and stand material and more lighting... but agreed that economies of scale don't fully apply to the monster tank due to structural matters not scaling well. Monster tanks can get very expensive depending on how they are designed and constructed... and so that factor could balance it out. As for redundancies, that is also an interesting consideration. I would implement redundancy for the monster aquarium and so much of that would work fine for the two smaller tanks (skimmers, chillers/heaters, UV, reactors etc.). However, more tanks will ultimately mean more dosing units, controllers, pumps and power heads and piping/valves etc.. I'm pretty sure the two smaller tanks will end up costing more. I like the idea of two tanks for greater livestock variety, but I also love to gaze into monster tanks. My 1400 gal will be 11ft x 5.5ft wide - nothing compares with that much viewing depth where aqua-scaping truly becomes 3D. And I am still struggling on visually how to fit 2x800 into the same living space!

OP
OP
D

DJKNOX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I run a multi tank system with two main displays 480gal reef and 720gal big fish tank. In my fish room I run a 265gal & 120gal sump, 150gal refugium, and 50gal frag tank so my total system water volume is ~1700gal. Plumbing it all together is the way to go and I could not be happier with the way my system runs. I will vote for two tanks over one to keep a coral reef and non reef safe fish. Having the tanks tied to one a common filtration system makes It easy to maintain.
Nice set up AlexG! Great to hear that 3 tanks on a common system is working for you. Do you run UV to stop any infections spreading from one tank to the other 2? I will force myself to be disciplined with quarantining animals... but we all know there is no guarantee... Do all 3 display tanks sit in the same room?

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmmmm yes good thoughts there. Glass/Acrylic thickness would seem to be the major driver of cost, but good call re duplicate equipment... particularly flow might not divide up well. Didn’t think of that part. Prob true regarding your aquascaping comment as well, and we all know how expensive rock can get... And what is the “cost” of 3D aquascaping in the sense of how much is it worth to your happiness and enjoyment? I would guess that bigger tanks stay up longer and we KNOW people are less likely to upgrade (though they do downgrade)... you jnow what costs more than your first tank? Your second tank hahahaha

Anyways, good counter points. Eager to see what you do :)

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up AlexG! Great to hear that 3 tanks on a common system is working for you. Do you run UV to stop any infections spreading from one tank to the other 2? I will force myself to be disciplined with quarantining animals... but we all know there is no guarantee... Do all 3 display tanks sit in the same room?

I do run UV to help cut down on pathogens, algae. UV also has the potential to breakdown coral chemical warefare compounds but I have yet to find actual scientific research that is specific to coral chemical warfare compounds but it has been shown in some research that UV can reduce the toxicity of specific chemical compounds in lab trials. My UV sterilizer is only rated for a tank about 1/3 my volume but it does have a positive impact on skimmer performance. My two main displays are next to each other in the basement with the sumps, refugium, and frag tanks in the fish room. I will be honest and say I do not QT anything before it goes into my system. My fish are dipped in paraguard as part of their acclimation and most corals are dipped or are inspected under a microscope before being added to the system. I do have ick in the system and I don't consider it a problem as it only shows up when the fish are stressed. I only use one LFS to get all my fish and on many occasions I take them straight from the wholesaler bag. I subscribe more to the ideals of PaulB on forum when it comes to QT.

My best advice if you decide to go with a multi-tank system is take your time and have plenty of redundancy in place to protect your animals. I run two 20amp AFCI/GFCI circuits with major equipment split between them so if one circuit fails it will not stop the flow in the tanks. I have a manual transfer switch and backup generator on standby, emergency kit with instructions and enough battery operated airpumps for the displays, sumps, refugium, and frag tanks. Redundant temp controller for radiant heating system with over-temp protection. Between diversity and redundancy the next big item is ease of access to all parts of the tank. Finally is humidity control which is often overlooked and can destroy a home if it is not properly mitigated.

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So although I've always wanted a monster aquarium - ie 1400 gal - there is the reality that so many cool species are not compatible. For compatibility, I could see 3 separate tanks as being near ideal, but alas that is more than I want to tackle. But two tanks could really open up opportunities: think tank 1 with limited corals and invertebrates but having triggers, puffers/boxfish, large angels, tangs, butterflies, wrasses, damsels and maybe even a lionfish and/or an eel; and 2nd tank being a full reef (lots of coral and anemones) and all the great reef fish like dwarf angels, gobies, blennies, dragonets, idols, cardinals, hawkfish, jawfish, clowns, basslets, anthias and lots of crustaceans. Only question is where to put the filefish and pipefish? :rolleyes: As I am using a basement fish room, I could even connect both to the same filter systems. So the "pros" are obvious. Cons? Well, setup cost will even be higher than the crazy costs I'm already looking at... and general room layout for displaying both in the same area would be a challenge. And of course no monster aquarium but still very large.

Anyone out there tried running two tanks like this before? Or any monster tank owners who regret not going for two smaller tanks? This is a key decision I must make and would value others' experiences...

OmG
I really want a predatory tank soo bad and 1500 gal would be perfect.
I would do FOWLR with lionfish, large angelfish, a yellow or green moray eel, some porcupine puffers, some stingrays and maybe a triggerfish. Maybe a grouper too.
But this is my opinion of what I would :( (sadly I cant) do but inyour case I would do 2 x800...

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we are all on the same boat here. me personally I want a nice reef. a LARGE FOWLR for angels butterflies puffers and tangs + and sea horse tank. but only so much time and $$ and unfortunately I have a 2 tank limit. but I have not told her I am looking at monster tanks...lol

I think with ever way you go it will be epic I mean 2X 800 gal it not small, yeah it's not 1400 gal both would be EPIC!

deff. take the advice of @AlexG and plan out your electric, water, heating/cooling and humidity. that stuff might make the choice for you.
also head through this thread if you have not. I learned alot.

let us know what you decide.
show us the space. maybe we can help with the layout?

OP
OP
D

DJKNOX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do run UV to help cut down on pathogens, algae. UV also has the potential to breakdown coral chemical warefare compounds but I have yet to find actual scientific research that is specific to coral chemical warfare compounds but it has been shown in some research that UV can reduce the toxicity of specific chemical compounds in lab trials. My UV sterilizer is only rated for a tank about 1/3 my volume but it does have a positive impact on skimmer performance. My two main displays are next to each other in the basement with the sumps, refugium, and frag tanks in the fish room. I will be honest and say I do not QT anything before it goes into my system. My fish are dipped in paraguard as part of their acclimation and most corals are dipped or are inspected under a microscope before being added to the system. I do have ick in the system and I don't consider it a problem as it only shows up when the fish are stressed. I only use one LFS to get all my fish and on many occasions I take them straight from the wholesaler bag. I subscribe more to the ideals of PaulB on forum when it comes to QT.

My best advice if you decide to go with a multi-tank system is take your time and have plenty of redundancy in place to protect your animals. I run two 20amp AFCI/GFCI circuits with major equipment split between them so if one circuit fails it will not stop the flow in the tanks. I have a manual transfer switch and backup generator on standby, emergency kit with instructions and enough battery operated airpumps for the displays, sumps, refugium, and frag tanks. Redundant temp controller for radiant heating system with over-temp protection. Between diversity and redundancy the next big item is ease of access to all parts of the tank. Finally is humidity control which is often overlooked and can destroy a home if it is not properly mitigated.
Very nice Alex G. The quarantine topic is a tricky one as I think there is risk either way. I know many recommend a 4 to 6 week isolation, but with the cost and sensitivity of higher-end fish, that is a long time for them to sit in a small barren tank. But I also know that imported diseases can reek havoc. I think for a monster tank one must be very careful as taking it down and restarting is no small undertaking. I guess I'll make that decision when the time comes...

OP
OP
D

DJKNOX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OmG
I really want a predatory tank soo bad and 1500 gal would be perfect.
I would do FOWLR with lionfish, large angelfish, a yellow or green moray eel, some porcupine puffers, some stingrays and maybe a triggerfish. Maybe a grouper too.
But this is my opinion of what I would :( (sadly I cant) do but inyour case I would do 2 x800...
yeah I hear you Tom. I would probably add a frogfish and some wrasses too! Reefs are great but the predatory tank would be a lot of fun too. I've got to think about how the layout would work with two large tanks :oops:

OP
OP
D

DJKNOX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we are all on the same boat here. me personally I want a nice reef. a LARGE FOWLR for angels butterflies puffers and tangs + and sea horse tank. but only so much time and $$ and unfortunately I have a 2 tank limit. but I have not told her I am looking at monster tanks...lol

I think with ever way you go it will be epic I mean 2X 800 gal it not small, yeah it's not 1400 gal both would be EPIC!

deff. take the advice of @AlexG and plan out your electric, water, heating/cooling and humidity. that stuff might make the choice for you.
also head through this thread if you have not. I learned alot.

let us know what you decide.
show us the space. maybe we can help with the layout?
Thanks Devaji for your enthusiasm! I do plan to make this EPIC. I've been somewhat forced not to have a tank for 25 years and so I do plan to make this a big retirement project. I'm an engineer and so those technical matters (electrical/mechanical) are clear to me and won't be over-looked. I will use a heat pump and will have some PV panels to help take the bite out of the electricity bills. I'm still thinking about the humidity matter.

As for the layout, I'm still finalizing the design of my new house and so I can do what I want within reason - its in the countryside and so dimensions are flexible - my only constraint is that the aquariums must be island - type (always my dream to walk 360 deg around my tank and its just my taste but I don't like enclosed wall aquariums as you lose the sense of depth) and well integrated into the living space as a show piece. The current idea was to have the monster tank dividing the living and dining rooms, where the living room has a 14 ft ceiling with skylights and the dining room 9 or 10 ft. Next to the dining room is a medium-size open kitchen and doors to a rear deck. The fish room will be in the basement underneath the tank(s) and will be quite spacious. I'm trying to work in stairs descending from this area directly to the fish-room. Could I put a big island tank on each side of the dining room... one dividing it from the living room and the other dividing it from the kitchen? hmm. It would be like eating with Jacque Cousteau lol! I think a little over-the-top... but just maybe what the heck! One thing is for sure, I will need to make sure those LED lamps are very directional so as not to be too bright on the dining area.

Anyway, if you can visualize a large living room (currently 25x35ft) with two 800 gal island tanks functionally built into it, I'm all ears. All the room needs is some sofas and a place to put down my beer.

OP
OP
D

DJKNOX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I hear you Tom. I would probably add a frogfish and some wrasses too! Reefs are great but the predatory tank would be a lot of fun too. I've got to think about how the layout would work with two large tanks :oops:
BTW Tom - how to feed that predatory tank???

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Devaji for your enthusiasm! I do plan to make this EPIC. I've been somewhat forced not to have a tank for 25 years and so I do plan to make this a big retirement project. I'm an engineer and so those technical matters (electrical/mechanical) are clear to me and won't be over-looked. I will use a heat pump and will have some PV panels to help take the bite out of the electricity bills. I'm still thinking about the humidity matter.

As for the layout, I'm still finalizing the design of my new house and so I can do what I want within reason - its in the countryside and so dimensions are flexible - my only constraint is that the aquariums must be island - type (always my dream to walk 360 deg around my tank and its just my taste but I don't like enclosed wall aquariums as you lose the sense of depth) and well integrated into the living space as a show piece. The current idea was to have the monster tank dividing the living and dining rooms, where the living room has a 14 ft ceiling with skylights and the dining room 9 or 10 ft. Next to the dining room is a medium-size open kitchen and doors to a rear deck. The fish room will be in the basement underneath the tank(s) and will be quite spacious. I'm trying to work in stairs descending from this area directly to the fish-room. Could I put a big island tank on each side of the dining room... one dividing it from the living room and the other dividing it from the kitchen? hmm. It would be like eating with Jacque Cousteau lol! I think a little over-the-top... but just maybe what the heck! One thing is for sure, I will need to make sure those LED lamps are very directional so as not to be too bright on the dining area.

Anyway, if you can visualize a large living room (currently 25x35ft) with two 800 gal island tanks functionally built into it, I'm all ears. All the room needs is some sofas and a place to put down my beer.

sounds like its a GO! I agree I love peninsula and island tanks. I am in the mist of a year long reno that had a perfect spot for a peninsula tank! so I kinda know what your going through.

I love the idea of 2X 800 on each side talk about epic. I think you would be happy with 2 tanks.
BUT then again one huge tank could be amazing to. all depends on the fish you want to keep more. Ithe bigger the reef =more $$ in corals to fill it tho.

IMHO I would do a large FOWLR with some softies and other corals some fish will not eat then an epic reef even if it a 240 -800.

the only problem i see with running 2 tanks off on sump is you use can use cheaper salt for the FOWLR and spend less on dosing the big reef. I would suggest a Calcium reactor for the reef witch the other tank will not need.

something to think about that is a very large water volume.

what are you learning towards one mega BIG tank to to big tanks?

OP
OP
D

DJKNOX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like its a GO! I agree I love peninsula and island tanks. I am in the mist of a year long reno that had a perfect spot for a peninsula tank! so I kinda know what your going through.

I love the idea of 2X 800 on each side talk about epic. I think you would be happy with 2 tanks.
BUT then again one huge tank could be amazing to. all depends on the fish you want to keep more. Ithe bigger the reef =more $$ in corals to fill it tho.

IMHO I would do a large FOWLR with some softies and other corals some fish will not eat then an epic reef even if it a 240 -800.

the only problem i see with running 2 tanks off on sump is you use can use cheaper salt for the FOWLR and spend less on dosing the big reef. I would suggest a Calcium reactor for the reef witch the other tank will not need.

something to think about that is a very large water volume.

what are you learning towards one mega BIG tank to to big tanks?
Hey I have found an island man! Great point Devaji about the water quality costs - especially calcium reactors, dosing and salts (although my goal is success without large water changes). I will need to chew on this a while longer, as comments are helping frame the pros and cons and hopefully more fish heads out there will contribute. It's all about compatibility in a larger tank - but I will defer to my other thread to discuss further. The weakest link in my experience (being 25 years outdated) is the nuances of coral care. Back in the day SPS wasn't much available nor tackled, and so my coral knowledge has a long way to go. Am I correct in thinking that the predator tank could easily house certain LPS and Softies at a lower overhead (cost and care level) to the reef tank? Are there certain corals that the nibblers generally don't like and are hardy enough to manage without trace dosing etc. provided reasonable lighting is provided? This is a key OPEX vs CAPEX consideration that I will have to munch on.

OP
OP
D

DJKNOX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom I was thinking that if I was to have a large predator aquarium with large fish, the food bill could add up over time... so was wondering about culturing live food - ie feeder fish and shrimps etc... most feeder fish at local stores are not suitable... as you suggest.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back