Showpiece ideas for 190 gal tank

Tom nhia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey, im looking to picking up a 190 gal from someone thats moving. Tank is 80 x 24 x 26

Right now i have 2 stocklist idea. First is a mostly damsel and chromis tank with one bigger showpiece fish. The other is a chromis and wrasse tank, most likely a few fairy and leopard wrasse.

Both stocklist will have a convict tang and melanarus wrasse for the "clean up" crew, might toss in a Ctenochaetus genus tang in there too

Also tank will be fowlr, not looking to add corals yet.

The only fish i can think of that i know i dont want are the ich magnets like powder tangs and achilles. I do love them but i want this tank to be low maintenance and low cost equipment and maintenance wise. I dont want to put on a uv and catch fish out to treat for ich and such

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a Fowlr, maybe check out some of the medium sized angels like the Genicanthus genus? Bellus, Lemark, Swallowtail? Heck, if you have no coral, look at some of the butterfly species that are not reef safe. They don’t get too huge and some have amazing colors/patterns. Pearlscale, Saddleback, Latticed, Pakistan, to name a few.

OP
OP
Tom nhia

Tom nhia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it’s a Fowlr, maybe check out some of the medium sized angels like the Genicanthus genus? Bellus, Lemark, Swallowtail? Heck, if you have no coral, look at some of the butterfly species that are not reef safe. They don’t get too huge and some have amazing colors/patterns. Pearlscale, Saddleback, Latticed, Pakistan, to name a few.
Yeah i was definitely thanking of a butterfly only issue is a lot of the not reef safe one are either obligate coralivore or hard to keep in general even tho they are so beautiful

Last edited:

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i was definitely thanking of a butterfly only issue is a lot of the not reef safe one are either obligate coralivore or hard to keep in general even tho they are so beautiful
Hmm. I don’t think any of the ones I mentioned are particularly difficult to keep. It’s the reef safe ones that tend to be harder to feed and keep alive, IMO (ex. Copperband).

OP
OP
Tom nhia

Tom nhia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm. I don’t think any of the ones I mentioned are particularly difficult to keep. It’s the reef safe ones that tend to be harder to feed and keep alive, IMO (ex. Copperband).
Oh didnt even realized you listed some, i read your msg thru my email and for some reason it didnt show the whole message. I'll definitely look into these species. I just remember from i think it was a macna seminar or something like that, that a lot of the not reef safe butterfly don't last long because of their diet

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh didnt even realized you listed some, i read your msg thru my email and for some reason it didnt show the whole message. I'll definitely look into these species. I just remember from i think it was a macna seminar or something like that, that a lot of the not reef safe butterfly don't last long because of their diet
Yeah, varied diet is critical with most fish, and some suppliers make angel/butterfly specific foods with sponge and other elements in them that can help. But I don’t think most of those I listed are that terribly difficult.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back