Small predator tank(120gallon) ideas.

NickNH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the planning phase for a small tank to start and a large community tank later on. My stocking plan for the predator tank idea is the following: 2 maroon clownfish, 1 coral croucher, 3 pyjama cardinals, 1 tomini tang, 1 convict tang, 1 blue hamlet grouper, 1 toby puffer, 1 coral beauty angelfish, 1 dwarf golden moray, 1 bluehead wrasse, 1 melanurus wrasse, 1 Indian lyretail anthias, 5 black and white chromis. Mixed sand bed with live rock and coral. Any foreseeable issues with things getting eaten?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 critters in a 120g tank seems a bit over stocked to me.

OP
OP
NickNH

NickNH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 critters in a 120g tank seems a bit over stocked to me.
I think it should be fine with good filtration and frequent water changes which I was going to do anyway. I've seen tanks on here much more overstocked than that that are kept clean and orderly.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only issue I see is the coral croucher might be food for the eel at some point but you never know. My two eels dont eat my blenny, hawkfish or mandarins when they 100% could, depends on the eel I guess!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the cardinals and anthias/chromis could also be food for an eel but depends on the eel as well. Only fish my eels have ever eaten were cleaner wrasse

OP
OP
NickNH

NickNH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the cardinals and anthias/chromis could also be food for an eel but depends on the eel as well. Only fish my eels have ever eaten were cleaner wrasse
OK, I figured that might be a possibility but it is a risk I am willing to take because wost case scenario they are fairly cheap and the coral croucher notorious for hiding under rocks and coral so I am fairly sure that would be fine.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I figured that might be a possibility but it is a risk I am willing to take because wost case scenario they are fairly cheap and the coral croucher notorious for hiding under rocks and coral so I am fairly sure that would be fine.
As long as youre aware it could be eaten! My two eels are well behaved and let me know when they are hungry. I also have 2 lionfish and they dont eat my smaller fish either

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a marine betta is a really cool edition to a predator tank! I chose that one vs the hamlet grouper for temperament and boy is he a stunning fish. Shy at first but adds a presence to the tank! He is pretty peaceful too and not easily bullied. Just a suggestion instead or in addition to

Attachments

• IMG_3643.jpeg
    IMG_3643.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3249.png
    IMG_3249.png
    369.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3251.png
    IMG_3251.png
    699.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3246.jpeg
    IMG_3246.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 28

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest a dragon wrasse. Funnest fish I own. Has tons of quirks and personality. Just make sure you have rubble and shells for it to play with and any small rocks you don’t want moved are glued down.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels hunt by searching holes and crevices for food. It’s the reason they are so skinny and flexible.

Golden dwarf morays are a Hawaiian fish and thus not available.

OP
OP
NickNH

NickNH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels hunt by searching holes and crevices for food. It’s the reason they are so skinny and flexible.

Golden dwarf morays are a Hawaiian fish and thus not available.
Allright since they aren't available I'll scale back and go with less things and an 80 gallon I suppose.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I suspect you will not at all see the croucher in that tank.

Pufferfish aren't reef-safe, angelfish are iffy at best.

There is a non-zero chance of the maroon clownfish female beating up literally everything else once she hits maturity. Those suckers are aggressive as hell. I would especially worry about the anthias.

Waspfish are a good bet. Venomous, but not enough to kill you if you're incautious enough to get stung. Not especially timid, but not aggressive, and can't eat fish unless they're tiny.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allright since they aren't available I'll scale back and go with less things and an 80 gallon I suppose.
Plenty other eels to get! Ive got a jeweled and a snowflake. Great eels

OP
OP
NickNH

NickNH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect you will not at all see the croucher in that tank.

Pufferfish aren't reef-safe, angelfish are iffy at best.

There is a non-zero chance of the maroon clownfish female beating up literally everything else once she hits maturity. Those suckers are aggressive as hell. I would especially worry about the anthias.

Waspfish are a good bet. Venomous, but not enough to kill you if you're incautious enough to get stung. Not especially timid, but not aggressive, and can't eat fish unless they're tiny.
Are ocellaris better behaved? I can deal with some aggression but that seems about on par with crap like sharks and groupers in terms of behavior.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are ocellaris better behaved? I can deal with some aggression but that seems about on par with crap like sharks and groupers in terms of behavior.
I have a maroon female and male pair. Shes about as behaved as any other clownfish. Ive had more aggressive clowns than her to be honest. I say if you want a maroon go for it!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ocellaris are much better behaved, yes, as a general rule. Though there is some individual variation in all species.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back