Down pipe and return pipe sizes for a custom 120cm x 60cm x 60cm (47' x 24' x 24') aquarium

2BeAlive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I am considering going the custom aquarium route and are trying to figure out pipe sizes. I have been accused of over-designing things in the past (see my last tank ;Bookworm).

The tank will be more or less the same size as a Red Sea Reefer 425XL. I am planning to have a full bean animal overflow (two operational down pipes, one emergency drain) and two separate returns for the tank. See the drawing.

I was thinking of scaling down to 20cm diameter pipes (½' nominal bore) for both the down pipes and the returns. It would make life so much easier, takes less space, cheaper fittings, valves, etc.

Is this big enough? How much flow would I be able to push through the two up/down pipes assuming a reasonable amounts of elbows?

Looking at the RSR pipes, they look even smaller with a single operational down and return pipe.

Also, what sizes are Apex flowmeters available in?

New custom tank. with 20cm piping.

Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 21.41.11.png

My last one, 50mm may have been a bit overkill?

IMG_3341.jpeg

IMG_2780.jpeg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This going to be a cool design:)

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 116 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back