Dr. Tims cycle question....

reeferpat137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im on day 6 of my fishless cycle. Directions state to add ammonia on day 6** unless ammonia is above 5ppm... my question, am i following day 6 instructions based off of day 5 results? Or should i test my ammonia levels for day 6 then follow instructions accodingly?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im on day 6 of my fishless cycle. Directions state to add ammonia on day 6** unless ammonia is above 5ppm... my question, am i following day 6 instructions based off of day 5 results? Or should i test my ammonia levels for day 6 then follow instructions accodingly?
You have to test the ammonia level and then decide if the ammonia concentration has declined since you added ammonia or it is just sitting there. A day here or there won’t matter.

OP
OP
R

reeferpat137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to test the ammonia level and then decide if the ammonia concentration has declined since you added ammonia or it is just sitting there. A day here or there won’t matter.
So i should check my levels today then

OP
OP
R

reeferpat137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a water change and buy a bottle of a different brand. Don't add any more ammonia. You shouldn't have 8ppm ammonia present
Bottle of ammonia or bacteria. Is it possible that the Dr. Tims bacteria was bad as it was cold when it was delivered

Last edited:

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria. The ammonia isn’t bad since your test is showing ammonia present. A different bottle of bacteria is a good idea anyways since when it comes to beneficial bacteria, diversity is good.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottle of ammonia or bacteria. Is it possible that the Dr. Tims bacteria was bad as it was cold when it was delivered
Bacteria. I know that dr tims, and I believe fritz turbo both suffer issues from being shipped in extremely cold or hot temperatures. I'd add some biospira or wahtever marine cycling bacteria they have at a store near you if possible (like api quick start marine)

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started with dry rock and ceramic media some live sand. I have added ammonia until 2ppm my cycle was literally done in 10 days maybe your bacteria was bad I had cloudy water for 3 days after dumping in the bottle

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Counterpoint: Dr Tim's dosing instructions is known to give overshoots on ammonia.
If it's anywhere around 8ppm or over you won't be able to tell it's working by tracking ammonia at first: 6 looks like 8 looks like 10. they are all super dark. You might have had ammonia drop from 8 to 7 and you'd never detect it.
Look for nitrite NO2 instead. There will be zero when you start and a test can clearly show a color change at production of just 0.1-0.2 ppm. It's a far better marker for whether cycling is starting.

(Just yesterday I was checking for start of nitrification in some samples and I could detect ~0.05 ppm NO2 produced more than the control without bacteria. I'd never have been able to detect that drop in ammonia from 2ppm.)

If there's no NO2 by day 6, your bottle got frozen or something and you need another bacteria source.

OP
OP
R

reeferpat137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna test again today, and see if anything changed. Just picked this up at petco, says itll do 236gal. Prob just dump the whole thing in, lol, should be fine right, aha.
Im gonna check my locals tomorrow when theyre open

Attachments

• 20230304_192156.jpg
    20230304_192156.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 14

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you remove your filters socks and all mechanical filtration before dosing the One and Only?

No UV, protein skimmer, etc...?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back