Drago 256g in wall, ground up build

Dragonetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Been hanging around here checking out all these unreal systems. I am currently building a house and installing 8'x 2'x 2' (Planet Aquariums) between living and office. Original plans were for a 10 foot aquarium but the cost for 2 feet was more than I could bear. I am guessing this will end up taking 5 to 6 months to complete, 4 if the stars align. I ran all plumbing from aquarium room to a "sump room" across the house in the slab. Sump (my reef creations) that I will be using were free from another system, traded labor for equipment. 2- 2" pipes for drains and 2- 1" pipes for returns. Here are some starter photos, if you see any mistakes please feel free to help a brother out and let me know. Sheetrock soon!! Thanks for looking

20190215_155503.jpg

20190215_155514.jpg

20190215_155558.jpg

20190215_161653.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, looking forward to see this up and running!

ScottieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. I see what you mean about the placement, I think it will be fine, to the eye it will blend in better when the wall is finished and there's furniture in the room. I have a 8 foot long tank that is built out from the wall and off center, I just positioned the dining room table to be centered with the tank and not the wall, that works to orient everything.

I am no engineer but I might double-up those vertical 2x4s under the tank, seems fairly easy to do given the design and might just save you some trouble in the future.

Following along...

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your drains going to work?

Looks like they come down from the overflow and into the slab, then 90* inside the slab then runs how many feet horizontally? Then back up to get into the sump?

OP
OP
D

Dragonetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no engineer but I might double-up those vertical 2x4s under the tank, seems fairly easy to do given the design and might just save you some trouble in the future.

Following along...

Will, do, thanks.

Everything was centered before I took the corner out. Didn't think about what it would do to placement of the tank. I thought about moving it but then it would look really uneven from the office side.

OP
OP
D

Dragonetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your drains going to work?

Looks like they come down from the overflow and into the slab, then 90* inside the slab then runs how many feet horizontally? Then back up to get into the sump?

I don't remember how many sticks of pipe I used. A best guess length would be 40' to the sump room, give or take 5'. Two 90's were used and two 45's to make turns before the concrete was poured. Pipes go through kitchen, part of the garage, and then into storage room. Yes about up and over the sump which will be sitting lower than the aquarium.

Don't know if I will use both 2" drains for true drains. May use one for drain and one for a safety. Can't afford an Abyzz so I went in on 4 Apex 20's. Two for returns and two for closed loops. Hope they are up to the task.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just guessing since I don't have direct experience with this, but I think you're going to run into a problem with the drain. The force behind the draining water is just the gravity out of the tank down into that first 90 in the slab. I've read of people having issues with pushing through only a couple feet of horizontal drain pipe, nevermind having to push 40' then back up to get over the top of the sump. Hopefully I'm wrong, but you might want to try and test it somehow before all the finish work is done.

Awesome looking tank, congrats!!!

OP
OP
D

Dragonetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rjukan, I hope you are wrong. Gonna be a sad day if the water doesn't make it's way to the sump.

I have never had problems draining water from one point to the other as long as the place I wanted to put the water was lower than the source.

ScottieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rjukan, I hope you are wrong. Gonna be a sad day if the water doesn't make it's way to the sump.

I have never had problems draining water from one point to the other as long as the place I wanted to put the water was lower than the source.

Nice looking tank so far. Let us know how things go. There’s always a solution to those plumbing issues.

OP
OP
D

Dragonetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any progress?

Not much, sheetrock is complete, I have been painting. Haven't had much time off to work on things. Plan on putting the aquarium in it's home after paint. I have had a bunch of equipment arrive but pictures of those in boxes are no fun.

Side topic
Anyone have ideas on humidity control inside the closed in area above the display?
Will this work
Screenshot_20190301-182939_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I took me two years to get my new tank up an running, but in the long run it's better to do things right that rush into it. Keep us updated!

OP
OP
D

Dragonetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been focused on getting the house done, aquarium took the back seat. Still have projects on top of projects. Might never finish

OP
OP
D

Dragonetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions from fellow in wall owners before I close in everything above and below? As far as salt creep and humidity protection I may have not thought about or didn't prep for.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.9%
Back