Dragon breath Algae questions???

dave171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so someone I know in a fish club around me is selling dragon breathe algae. I know it's a macroalgae but what exactly is its benefit? Can I put it in a display I like how it looks ? I know it grows fast. What else should I know , will my tangs eat it? Is it worth getting eveb not having a sump? Thanks

OP
OP
dave171

dave171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tangs will eat it so with out a sump or fuge area your just buying them a tasty treat.

Lol aw man I really wanted this. It has such a cool color. And I have seen it in other people's display tanks but they clearly don't have tangs haha.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you enjoy it in a refugium?
Let it grow out big then take a portion ziptie to a small piece of rock and help supplement your fish :)

OP
OP
dave171

dave171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you enjoy it in a refugium?
Let it grow out big then take a portion ziptie to a small piece of rock and help supplement your fish :)

Actually was thinking of getting a refugium! That's a great idea maybe that just what I'll have to do! My tangs eat like crazy so I'm sure they would love this besides all the nori they get haha.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With most macro algaes the best thing to do is leave them alone. Growth will balance itself with the nutrients available in the system. If there are tangs or other fish that eat algae in part of their diet they will quickly eat this red macro. I had good results in my refugium using medium to high flow with high light.

Merck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,I bought it today at a local fish store, I have put it in my frag tank which is a 29 gallon Frag tank with 2 10,000 K bulbs & 2 actinic bulbs, the tank has Medium Flow,Red Sea a,b,c. , two fishes snow.ect. No fish.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might but will have to look into it....shipping would have to be paid...and I have to see how much I have and where my nitrates sit

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you would not mind finding out the prices I'm sure I would be glad to pay. I have read Titan red Gracielara Redfern And cotton candy. Flame algae would make a great addition

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back