dragon face pipe fish. where to buy them from?

djberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talked to my lfs the other day inquiring about these, and they were suprised at the aspect that there were different breeds of pipe fish...

So as I am looking for some insurance for pests in my frag tank, I want to add a pair. And yes there are plenty of pods to go around, I have a pair of dragonetts in my display(rrag and display are all in one system) both fat healthy and trying to breed. So the food shouldn't be an issue, I'm just looking for a respectable place to aquire them. Any where around me (western ny, pa or eastern ohio). Or even mail order if need be.

Thanks in advance. DJ

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you end up having to go mail-order .... I have ordered them from both Live Aquaria and Blue Zoo. So far better success rate with the ones from Blue Zoo ..... not blaming Live Aquaria, just saying. I originally got 3 from Live Aquaria and only one of the 3 survived - the 2 others made it about two weeks. Was placing an order from Blue Zoo so ordered 2 more from them and both are alive and well - at about 4 months now. The original from Live Aquaria, however, is still doing great and has been in the tank for a little over 6 months now.

tvoydan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on LiveAquaria for ordering. I have a local fish store that carries them now and then. Just picked up 2 for my reef a few weeks ago.

I have to say they spend most of their time on the bottom looking for pods and a small amount of time in the rock work. I've never seen them inspecting corals for bugs. Also seem to ignore frozen food like mysis.

OP
OP
D

djberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about vertical swimming? My frag is a 37cube and I have my egg create tiered for differnt light needs. Again this isn't commonly given knowledge, so I'm trying to make sure they will be ok in what I have as a possible home for them.

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with tvoydan that they spend a lot of time on the bottom but I would say at least half the time mine are in the rockwork - and I commonly see mine at the top of the rockscape near the surface. I have also caught the largest of them checking things floating on the surface and have seen all of them hunting on and in the coral. Not sure if they will take to the egg crate tiers the same as rocks since it wouldn't hold the same food source .... but the vertical aspect in itself shouldn't be a problem.

The one that I have had the longest has adapted to eating some frozen ova and cyclops when it is moving in the current.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also be very careful about sharp eggcrate edges. Pipefish typically lay down on their bellies.

tvoydan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen one of mine swimming in the water current. But mostly slither around to around. And they tend to stick together.

Here's a pic.

dragon_face_pipes.jpg

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my goofballs;

I love these fish. They had a lot of quirk to the tank. One of mine likes to swim in the flow when the lights change from whites and blues to just blues, and then when the blues turn off. They will pick at any surface to get pods/nutrmar ova. They somehow go un-scathed by my female clown (I don't think she knows what they are!). They are amazing at perching themselves anywhere, I have even seen them use the little spinoid snails on the overflow and rest their body on them!! Mine go on the sand, on the rock and on the fake reef, they don't really seems to care what it is, as long as they can find food on it and rest.

OP
OP
D

djberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i'm thinking abit more rock work on the bottom of the frag tank and i should be good. and as to the egg creat and sharpness, Than at tidal gardens seems to be geting away with that just fine, and also made me feel better about them and flow, since he has them in thier sps tank.

Dragonface Pipefish - YouTube

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my goofballs;

I love these fish. They had a lot of quirk to the tank. One of mine likes to swim in the flow when the lights change from whites and blues to just blues, and then when the blues turn off. They will pick at any surface to get pods/nutrmar ova. They somehow go un-scathed by my female clown (I don't think she knows what they are!). They are amazing at perching themselves anywhere, I have even seen them use the little spinoid snails on the overflow and rest their body on them!! Mine go on the sand, on the rock and on the fake reef, they don't really seems to care what it is, as long as they can find food on it and rest.
If you dont mind me asking where did you purchase your pipe fish?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back