Dragon's Breath Macro Algae questions

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received some BEAUTIFUL Dragon's Breath algae today from our fellow reefer Tektite; a good softball size. I have put it in my refugium. I attached it to a rock with a rubberband and laid it on top of the chaeto. Will the chaeto choke it out? Should I remove all the chaeto? Should I dose with Iron and Maganese? Will it grow with a regular LED fuge light or should I get the LED light specially made for red macro? I'd love to put it in my DT, but my two tangs would make short order of it...lol Does anyone have experience with this algea that can give me tips on how to grow it successfully? Any input is very much appreciated!

colinsta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it in my refugium right now with chaeto and it grows fine. I use an led light by buildmyled specifically made for all algae and it grows like crazy. I would try a bit in your main tank too and see if your tangs don't go for it, my yellow tang won't touch it. I hear higher light will give you brighter orange tips as well.

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't really attach to anything ime so I use to Superglue it to a rock and put medium light over it with decent flow and it grew very very fast with the bright orange tips, It's pretty easy to keep imo, But I would take the rubber band off and just put a drop of glue on it.

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine in my DT. Maybe it's just me but I like the look. It's a lot slower of a grower the the chaeto so I think it will eventually choke it out. The LFS I got it from also had it in one of their DT at the very top under MH, I believe it loves the light so that's were I put mine, just tucked it in between some rocks.

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it def grows slower then chaeto for sure, But It's a good grower ime, If it starts to turn orange all over that means it's dying just so you know, Only the tops should be orange sometimes.

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the good info. I'm going to take the rubber band off now. I need to get rid of at least half my chaeto.

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it in my refugium right now with chaeto and it grows fine. I use an led light by buildmyled specifically made for all algae and it grows like crazy. I would try a bit in your main tank too and see if your tangs don't go for it, my yellow tang won't touch it. I hear higher light will give you brighter orange tips as well.

I been thinking of adding some to my DT but was concerned that my tangs (a yellow and a powered brown) might eat it. What are you thoughts on it?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back