Dreaded Jay’s demon fish question: green Chromis

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends, my questions have gone unanswered but I’ll try another, long story short, in June we had to break down 120 DT to replace and re-plumb overflow. Every 6 or 7 years we clean sand bed(bleach), LR just to clean it. (Husbands fetish) we Always keep plenty of LR and substrate to re-seed. After 2 months, everything back in, everybody good, Yellow hippo and Sailfin, all mushrooms and palys good. Without following protocol for QT, I added to 20 gallon set-up, Chromis 5 and clownfish, babies. I didn’t remove rest of substrate, LR, etc. well, according to Jay and others I think the clowns all died from velvet. I was treating with Ruby Reef and kic-ick. All clowns died by first of August. I then broke down tank, bleached lR now in DT sump. Ok, sorry, question, all Chromis look healthy, been in bare bottomed QT and eating pellets, for babies probiotics life spectrum 2xs a day and spirilla frozen brine soaked in Selcon and brightwell Vitamins. I’m trying to get them eating Tang diet, but they can’t quite swallow yet. As I’m growing them for DT should i profelactely treat them? The Only marks I see aren’t the dreaded Uro......, pecking order marks, gone the next day as two are smaller in size, tiny one isn’t growing but I watch to see if he’s getting his share. I’ve also switched up my DT to pellets, carnivore and worms.. My blueheaded fairy wrasse needs it. Any thoughts and advice Thank-You, Thank-you
Debra
image.jpg
image.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I missed your post last night, then fell asleep....

It makes me nervous to see green chromis in a small bare tank like that. Be sure to siphon all detritus off the bottom daily, and monitor ammonia and keep it below 0.25 ppm

I reread your post, but couldn't figure it out - how long have you had the chromis? Have you treated them with anything yet? I always give fish a 30 day run of organically chelated copper (I use Coppersafe) and then I give two weeks of prazi and then wait two more weeks before moving them to the DT.

Jay

OP
OP
Debramb

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeez, that’s so much for you’re time, had 2 since early July, 3 since end of July. Put them in 10 gallon from 20 when last Clownfish died. Cleaned and bleached everything. I have given prazi and Ruby when clowns were sick. Have copper power and test strips, just didn’t know if needed. FYI, posted pic of dead clowns. Will follow you’re advice! Still have to “grow” them out, will move back to 20gal
E93F8731-368E-4C5E-8977-C79FF6E8F67F.jpeg
from 10gal today! Thanks so much for you’re time
Debra
Ref:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, thought 2 gal per fish was good! Bad judgement on my part
Functionally, there is enough room for these fish, I just worry that the biofilter in a bare tank like this may not be up to the task, but if ammonia stays at zero, no worries.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeez, that’s so much for you’re time, had 2 since early July, 3 since end of July. Put them in 10 gallon from 20 when last Clownfish died. Cleaned and bleached everything. I have given prazi and Ruby when clowns were sick. Have copper power and test strips, just didn’t know if needed. FYI, posted pic of dead clowns. Will follow you’re advice! Still have to “grow” them out, will move back to 20gal
E93F8731-368E-4C5E-8977-C79FF6E8F67F.jpeg
from 10gal today! Thanks so much for you’re time
Debra
Ref:
Just keep the copper “in reserve”. I’d run them through copper myself, but there is always a risk to doing that, and I’d hate to advise you to follow suit and then have the tank crash....
Jay

OP
OP
Debramb

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, I’ve got a hydro powerhead and aquaclear 70 filter with seeded sponge from DT sump. Since 3 back surgeries, I vacuum that tank more than my living room!

OP
OP
Debramb

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will monitor them for any “signs”. Would have passed on them had I read you’re concerns beforehand. Just wanted alittle variety! Have a great day, would love to see you’re aquariums you maintain someday!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back