Chromis (Blue Green) - Need help diagnosis (Video)

Mac01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie to this hobby and need help if there is an issue with one of my Chromis (3 total) which have been in QT for 2.5 weeks. I noticed (2 days now) one of them have following:
1. white growth or scars on head (See videos attached)
2. same chromis when in low light seems to have darker spot coloration/complexion (in light they all look fine and same).

The other 2 Chromis appears fine. I'll note all 3 had been fighting (seems to found a pecking order) so I'm uncertain if this one lost the battle and have been injured by the other 2. Or is this a disease I need to treat (Uronema, Bacteria)?

I've put them all through Fritz Paracleanse at the outset.

This fish continues to eat fine. And I water change every other day with normal parameters. It acts more aggressive to other fish as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20231220_151025_1.mp4
    7.8 MB
  • 20231220_151025_2.mp4
    24.1 MB
Last edited:

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not expert but I have 1 Chromis, about 4 yrs old of 2 that made it out of my quarantine, the other passsed about Sept of a bladder issue I think and he Was the bully of the 2. I’m testing something I saw on YouTube of an aquarist that kept his Chromis schooling and not killing each other by adding a Royal Basset. Also BRS has an awesome video of schooling Chromis, huge, amount with a grouper to “scare”..
If yours make it, you can research, anything’s better than watching a fish rip each other apart. Good Luck
Debra

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie to this hobby and need help if there is an issue with one of my Chromis (3 total) which have been in QT for 2.5 weeks. I noticed (2 days now) one of them have following:
1. white growth or scars on head (See videos attached)
2. same chromis when in low light seems to have darker spot coloration/complexion (in light they all look fine and same).

The other 2 Chromis appears fine. I'll note all 3 had been fighting (seems to found a pecking order) so I'm uncertain if this one lost the battle and have been injured by the other 2. Or is this a disease I need to treat (Uronema, Bacteria)?

I've put them all through Fritz Paracleanse at the outset.

This fish continues to eat fine. And I water change every other day with normal parameters. It acts more aggressive to other fish as well.

Any help would be appreciated.
Fish has a skin irritation which maty be bacterial. These fish respond well to treatment using ruby rally pro

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the ammonia test?
The head issue looks like an injury, but the fish is breathing too fast. Are you considering copper?

Jay

OP
OP
M

Mac01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia test 0. I check every other day. We have no Copper option here in Canada.

Is there any other medication to consider if it’s skin irritation?

I have attached another video which you can see right below dorsal fin the slight discolouration or injury (whiten line or looks like scale problems?)

And what may be causing fast breathing which is in the video?

I have access to kordon ridich plus (protozoan or fungal) - active ingredients 11.5% formalin. Would this work?

Thanks

Attachments

• 1000016655.mp4
    18.8 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia test 0. I check every other day. We have no Copper option here in Canada.

Is there any other medication to consider if it’s skin irritation?

I have attached another video which you can see right below dorsal fin the slight discolouration or injury (whiten line or looks like scale problems?)

And what may be causing fast breathing which is in the video?

I have access to kordon ridich plus (protozoan or fungal) - active ingredients 11.5% formalin. Would this work?

Thanks

I don't see the Ridich as helping, and the formalin may actually be an irritant with a fish that has skin damage. It does seem active and is eating well, so that's good. In Canada, you can't get fish antibiotics either, so your options are really limited. Can you get Ruby Reef Rally Pro? If not, you will likely just have to "wait and see".

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Canada is by far the toughest country for meds. Copper sulfate when diluted properly is an alternative but a risk due to mixing requirements. Coppersafe may be available at certain outlets. Rid-ich is a tonic and rarely works in any circumstance.

OP
OP
M

Mac01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to provide an update as per everyone’s recommendation, I was able to procure Rally Pro. It appears to be working still in QT. I do not see the white growth on head and the discoloration (darker) seems to have subsided and now looks similar to the other 2 Chromis (See vid)

I had the 3 Chromis under Rally Pro for 6 days now. In between I have put the main fish under 2 Rally baths and the other 2 once each.

I will note that the same Chromis that had been the focus has somewhat become the main aggressor now. Perhaps it feels tougher.

In any case, I’ll keep them in QT for another few days unless anyone has difference of opinion? Do I need to restart the clock? They have been in QT for 3.5 weeks now.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Attachments

• 1000016761.mp4
    20.4 MB
Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back