Uronema in Observation tank, what about the other fish?

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have what appears to be uronema in my observation tank, standard 45gallon; 48" long.
Some details:

There are 7 blue/green chromis and 5 lined chromis that were purchased on Feb 10th.
Also, a pintail wrasse was added on Feb 13th, it was gifted to me from my wife and kids! (So this one is an important one!)

I have been feeding them a variety of foods to fatten them up before going to the display.
The blue/greens chase each other and nip at each other a bit, but nothing overly aggressive (plain ol chromis behavior).
All fish appeared to be in good health, no torn fins, no clamping, no discoloration, no spots, no flashing.
They eat with gusto, frozen mysis, frozen brine shrimp, frozen spirulina brine shrimp, sometimes theres some frozen bloodworms, and flake food.

Yesterday, after 1 week, I spotted a red lesion on 2 of the lined chromis; one has it on the side of it's body, and one has it right below the dorsal fin.

I am located in Canada, so there is no access to aquarium medications, I have an old bottle of Coppesafe still I believe.

A bit confused from all that I have been reading...
Does this mean all the chromis will get it? I think not, just those individuals susceptible?
Will the pintail wrasse get it? I think not, readings say that they are not prone to getting uronema?
Does that mean that even if asymptomatic, the others are now carriers?
Are the asymptomatic fish ok to transfer to my display? I believe readings say they are, but it's a daunting thought.
If indeed uronoma, the affected fish cannot recover on their own? they will need to be euthanized?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks!

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article does a great job of explaining uronema.

If you attach photos, we can help you confirm what you see is uronema.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi,

I have what appears to be uronema in my observation tank, standard 45gallon; 48" long.
Some details:

There are 7 blue/green chromis and 5 lined chromis that were purchased on Feb 10th.
Also, a pintail wrasse was added on Feb 13th, it was gifted to me from my wife and kids! (So this one is an important one!)

I have been feeding them a variety of foods to fatten them up before going to the display.
The blue/greens chase each other and nip at each other a bit, but nothing overly aggressive (plain ol chromis behavior).
All fish appeared to be in good health, no torn fins, no clamping, no discoloration, no spots, no flashing.
They eat with gusto, frozen mysis, frozen brine shrimp, frozen spirulina brine shrimp, sometimes theres some frozen bloodworms, and flake food.

Yesterday, after 1 week, I spotted a red lesion on 2 of the lined chromis; one has it on the side of it's body, and one has it right below the dorsal fin.

I am located in Canada, so there is no access to aquarium medications, I have an old bottle of Coppesafe still I believe.

A bit confused from all that I have been reading...
Does this mean all the chromis will get it? I think not, just those individuals susceptible?
Will the pintail wrasse get it? I think not, readings say that they are not prone to getting uronema?
Does that mean that even if asymptomatic, the others are now carriers?
Are the asymptomatic fish ok to transfer to my display? I believe readings say they are, but it's a daunting thought.
If indeed uronoma, the affected fish cannot recover on their own? they will need to be euthanized?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks
Uronema will be elongated and oval sometimes with raised scales
Please post pics under white light intensity for verification

OP
OP
Tub Life

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a couple pics of the worse one with the lesion on side. I will continue to try to get clearer pics, but these guys are small and active fish.

The one with lesion near dorsal seems to have gotten a bit better. The lesion appears to have lightened up in color as is does not appear red any longer. I cannot get a pic of that guy for the life of me.

1000019394.jpg

1000019356.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is uronema - in appearance - but it could be a bacterial infection of a local lesion. If its on both sides - consider it uronema. Once its in a system - its there - the ways to try to minimize it is - lower nutrients. excellent water. IDK when you got the fish - but - its got uronema - that may not necessarily (yet) be in your tank - but will be in your QT tank (I don't remember if you were or dosing in display) - but it will be in the tank - You can of course sterilize a QT tank. In your display - be careful with detritus, etc.

There is nothing to do with the other fish in the tank

OP
OP
Tub Life

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looks like me and my fish have lucked out!
Does not appear to be uronema after all.

As of last night:

The chromis with the lesion near dorsal fin looks almost unscathed. Looks like a healing scrape, the affected area is lighter in color as one would expect from a healing surface wound.

The chromis with the more severe lesion on the one side of its body seems to be on the mend as well. The lesion is no longer red, but a darker brown. The affected area no longer appears raised (scales)/swollen.

Otherwise behaving normal, no scratching/flashing, no other visible wounds, swimming normal and still have good appetite.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
So looks like me and my fish have lucked out!
Does not appear to be uronema after all.

As of last night:

The chromis with the lesion near dorsal fin looks almost unscathed. Looks like a healing scrape, the affected area is lighter in color as one would expect from a healing surface wound.

The chromis with the more severe lesion on the one side of its body seems to be on the mend as well. The lesion is no longer red, but a darker brown. The affected area no longer appears raised (scales)/swollen.

Otherwise behaving normal, no scratching/flashing, no other visible wounds, swimming normal and still have good appetite.
I’d bet ya all the tangs in the world it is and you still got it. 99.99% of chromis have it according to marine collectors. It’s why he doesn’t sell them anymore. Uronema can also affect just the inside with no visible issues on the outside.

OP
OP
Tub Life

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... I thought that once a fish showed signs of uronema (red sores) that it was destined to die.
I am just basing my conclusion that it is not urenoma off the fact that the 2 visibly affected fish are recovering.

FWIW, the chromis with the lesion on its side is looking even better this morning. Definitely no longer swollen/raised scales. The affected area has also lightened in color, trending back to normal coloration.

So if it is actually uronema but the fish recover, does that mean it is just something they will have to live with?
I read the stat that something like 75% of mature tanks test positive, so does that just mean I fall into that category? It should not cause any further issues among the fish unless a new fish is introduced that is susceptible?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back