Dremel fragging encrusted montipora?

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rainbow encrusted montipora on rock that is about 2 inches thick that I want to frag. Can I frag it with a dremel saw? Where can I get a cheap one to use for fragging and what blades do you guys use?

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to use diamond cutting wheel, at the store they run about $20 but try ebay, perhaps half that.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to use diamond cutting wheel, at the store they run about $20 but try ebay, perhaps half that.
Great! I found them for 9 dollars on amazon.

Can I use them with any dremel? Where can I get a cheap one that would work?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy an off brand rotary tool from a place like Harbor freight for under $20. Not as good of quality, but if you're only using it for occaisional fragging, then it's not worth the extra cash IMO.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know of a good video demo on using a rotary tool for fragging encrusted corals? I have searched google with limited success

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a used one like I did, got it at a place that sells tools new and used for like $25. Its worth buying the real thing though because once you have it you'll start finding other uses for it. I love mine, its the best tool I've ever owned. I use it for all kinds of projects both reef and non-reef related.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would recommend buying a nice dremel. A good one is like $80 and comes with a diamond blade. IME having the right tool makes all the difference. Especially if your fagging a $600 chalice frag...You don't want it to die due to a poor cut. Not to mention a dremel is probably the most handy tool i own. The possibilities are endless. Especially if your a Do it yourself-er.

P.S. you can buy an extension arm for it and makes it even easier to cut frags plus it keeps your dremel away from the water. Sure band saws are nice but they only have one use...

Good dremel
4000-2/31H 4000 Series Rotary Tool Kit With 2 Attachments-4000-2/31H at The Home Depot

Attachment arm
225-01 Flex-Shaft Attachment-225-01 at The Home Depot

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i usually use the dremel for auto-mechanics and woodworking and save the extension arm for just fragging. that way it stays clean.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I have bought many things in my life that I wish I didn't and the dremel is not one of them.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uptade: I bought the rotary tool kit for about $17 dollars including shipping from harbor frieght, I purchased the dermal EZ lock attachment and diamond cutting EZ lock wheel, and was able to fairly easily cut through the coral I wanted to frag. Total cost about $30, much cheaper than other options, for what I wanted to do.

I just thought I would let others know what worked for me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back