Dremel fragging encrusted montipora?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GeoHawk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

GeoHawk

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2010
Messages
613
Reaction score
11
Location
Trenton, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rainbow encrusted montipora on rock that is about 2 inches thick that I want to frag. Can I frag it with a dremel saw? Where can I get a cheap one to use for fragging and what blades do you guys use?
 
You need to use diamond cutting wheel, at the store they run about $20 but try ebay, perhaps half that.
 
You can buy an off brand rotary tool from a place like Harbor freight for under $20. Not as good of quality, but if you're only using it for occaisional fragging, then it's not worth the extra cash IMO.
 
Anybody know of a good video demo on using a rotary tool for fragging encrusted corals? I have searched google with limited success
 
Buy a used one like I did, got it at a place that sells tools new and used for like $25. Its worth buying the real thing though because once you have it you'll start finding other uses for it. I love mine, its the best tool I've ever owned. I use it for all kinds of projects both reef and non-reef related.
 
i would recommend buying a nice dremel. A good one is like $80 and comes with a diamond blade. IME having the right tool makes all the difference. Especially if your fagging a $600 chalice frag...You don't want it to die due to a poor cut. Not to mention a dremel is probably the most handy tool i own. The possibilities are endless. Especially if your a Do it yourself-er.

P.S. you can buy an extension arm for it and makes it even easier to cut frags plus it keeps your dremel away from the water. Sure band saws are nice but they only have one use...

Good dremel
4000-2/31H 4000 Series Rotary Tool Kit With 2 Attachments-4000-2/31H at The Home Depot

Attachment arm
225-01 Flex-Shaft Attachment-225-01 at The Home Depot
 
i usually use the dremel for auto-mechanics and woodworking and save the extension arm for just fragging. that way it stays clean.
 
I agree, I have bought many things in my life that I wish I didn't and the dremel is not one of them.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
 
Uptade: I bought the rotary tool kit for about $17 dollars including shipping from harbor frieght, I purchased the dermal EZ lock attachment and diamond cutting EZ lock wheel, and was able to fairly easily cut through the coral I wanted to frag. Total cost about $30, much cheaper than other options, for what I wanted to do.

I just thought I would let others know what worked for me.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new