Dressing up the Red Sea Reefer stand

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am hopefully picking up my new Red Sea Reefer 250 today!!! This has been a tough decision because while the quality seems quite good the looks of the stand are just, meh...

My wife is not thrilled about the modern look and it will not really go with our home so I'm going to try to spruce it up. Has anyone else done so? What did you do? Were there any complications working the stand material?

I am thinking of using thin sheets of wood like an underlayment to create panels, glue them to the stand sides/doors and then trim everything out with whatever moulding I decide.

I also was considering just adding moulding to the stand and painting everything.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks to all for any input. I'm really excited for this upgrade!

Jbeute

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am hopefully picking up my new Red Sea Reefer 250 today!!! This has been a tough decision because while the quality seems quite good the looks of the stand are just, meh...

My wife is not thrilled about the modern look and it will not really go with our home so I'm going to try to spruce it up. Has anyone else done so? What did you do? Were there any complications working the stand material?

I am thinking of using thin sheets of wood like an underlayment to create panels, glue them to the stand sides/doors and then trim everything out with whatever moulding I decide.

I also was considering just adding moulding to the stand and painting everything.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks to all for any input. I'm really excited for this upgrade!

Is it the black or the white. I personally wouldn't do anything to the outside of it

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding molding and then painting would probably be the easiest and should dramatically change the look of stand.. be sure to start a build thread in members tanks section I will be curious as to what you come up with.. Just a wild guess, did you get your tank from blue ribbon aquatics? :)

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is black.

No I got it from someone local to me here in Florida. Upgrading from a JBJ RL45, great tank btw, just tired of fighting the equipment limitations of an all in one and want to get back to a sumped setup.

I think the dimensions of the reefer are gonna be nice.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the black or the white. I personally wouldn't do anything to the outside of it

Once we get it here and setup, I'll see what it's like. Everything I would do could be done with it set up so I will probably set it up as it is and then see where it goes from there. Kinda wishing I had gone white now but oh well.

Citycop89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I have the Waterbox with white stand. The stand just doesn’t go with the interior design of our home. I discussed adding molding to the doors and sides but never did it. I’m definitely interested in this. Luckily the stands are so “modern” aka plain, it would be easy to dress up.

Citycop89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at my stand, the pieces would have to be sanded to get any glue or paint to stick

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that I have seen it in person and ha e it in the house it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. By no means is it real fancy but not unlivable. I sill may end up adding something to jazz it up later but for the moment I think I will let it roll.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back