Dried vs roasted seaweed (nori)?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so this topic has come up on my local reef forum and someone mentioned that roasting nori takes away 90% of its nutritional value. I haven't found any evidence of that but could see how the heat may take away some of its nutritional value. I feed my fish both dried and roasted and they gobble it up no problem. I am looking for a real concrete answer on if roasted is no good, any nutrition experts out there? Thanks!

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no. Dried nori, the kind we eat in Sushi, is dried by roasting.. go figure right. Its not sun dried like you think. Nutrition stays in it. Just H2O is evaporated. Its not being boiled....

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I understand that sushi seaweed is roasted, but does that significantly effect the nutritional value?

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I understand that sushi seaweed is roasted, but does that significantly effect the nutritional value?
None. That's why so many feed nori and not the high dollar pre-packed for fish. Get the high dollar packed for fish, like Juili Sprung. Look at it side by side. Its the same thing. Just in a fancy fish foil pace with pretty reef pics on it.

AZRipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can purchase either dried or roasted. I don't know about the nutritional value loss, if any. I do know that at least for me the dried disintegrates/comes apart quicker than the roasted.

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I see. I have bought roasted many times but I have also bought more expensive stuff that just says dried. Are you saying that it's all roasted? I've also seen toasted. Thanks for the quick reply by the way!

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well so far we're leaning towards its all the same nutrition wise, anyway we can get some #reefsquad opinions on this one?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure there is a sushi seaweed nutrition expert on the Reef Squad... LOL! Certainly not me! I buy my dried nori in bulk (by the case) from a shop in California and every scrap of it is for the fish!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back