Drill bit?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no diyer, could someone suggest the best was to cut a lollipop stick size hole in a double walled trace cup? I only have a drill and don’t really want to buy a new tool if possible, I have tried all the drill bits in my tool box but they don’t really make a dint, is there a certain type I need to buy? I just need a slit size hole, nothing bigger.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no diyer, could someone suggest the best was to cut a lollipop stick size hole in a double walled trace cup? I only have a drill and don’t really want to buy a new tool if possible, I have tried all the drill bits in my tool box but they don’t really make a dint, is there a certain type I need to buy? I just need a slit size hole, nothing bigger.

Whats a double wall trace cup? :) Whats the material? What type of bits do you have?

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats a double wall trace cup? :) Whats the material? What type of bits do you have?

sorry posted on my phone at lunch, was meant to say a travel cup, it’s made of aluminium, I have a small selection of bits, not sure what they are support to be used on, but none of them can get through the material.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You most likely have wood bits. They aren't the best for aluminum but should do the job. But of course there are bits at the hardware store for drilling through metal of you want to spend a few bucks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Titanium or carbide

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aluminum cuts like butter, and pretty much anything will start cutting it. No need for carbide anything here. Standard HSS bits are fine. Sharp is the key, if you've abused any bits you had before then its going to be hard to get going. Go high speed, and "peck" the drill (slightly retract) action to break up the inevitable large birds nest of spinning aluminum that will develop.

However, I somewhat suspect your travel mug may actually be stainless steel... its rare to find drink ware made of aluminum (it would impart a pretty metallic taste, and would make for a very very cold or warm cup as its an amazing heat conductor). SS is very hard, but will also cut fine with a good bit- unlike aluminum, run it at _slow_ speed and be patient. The chips will be much smaller and won't generally form a birds nest.

Tooling pedantry:

Titanium isn't a material used for tooling. Its used as a coating (over both HSS and cardbide). For most big box stores the coatings are 80% cosmetic, so its not worth using it as a feature unless you're looking at specialty tooling. If you do buy coated, ZrN is best for aluminum, TiN (Titanium Nitride) is fine. TiAlN (Titanium Aluminum Nitride) should be avoided for aluminum, as it will be a mess - under heat the coating will just fuse to the aluminum you have (aluminum sticks to its self really well). Save yourself the money and buy uncoated ;)

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aluminum cuts like butter, and pretty much anything will start cutting it. No need for carbide anything here. Standard HSS bits are fine. Sharp is the key, if you've abused any bits you had before then its going to be hard to get going. Go high speed, and "peck" the drill (slightly retract) action to break up the inevitable large birds nest of spinning aluminum that will develop.

However, I somewhat suspect your travel mug may actually be stainless steel... its rare to find drink ware made of aluminum (it would impart a pretty metallic taste, and would make for a very very cold or warm cup as its an amazing heat conductor). SS is very hard, but will also cut fine with a good bit- unlike aluminum, run it at _slow_ speed and be patient. The chips will be much smaller and won't generally form a birds nest.

Tooling pedantry:

Titanium isn't a material used for tooling. Its used as a coating (over both HSS and cardbide). For most big box stores the coatings are 80% cosmetic, so its not worth using it as a feature unless you're looking at specialty tooling. If you do buy coated, ZrN is best for aluminum, TiN (Titanium Nitride) is fine. TiAlN (Titanium Aluminum Nitride) should be avoided for aluminum, as it will be a mess - under heat the coating will just fuse to the aluminum you have (aluminum sticks to its self really well). Save yourself the money and buy uncoated ;)

yes you are correct, I just checked and it’s stainless steel!

So I can still go for the HSS but run it slowly. I’ll buy a couple as I’m guessing they blunt easily unless I pay a fortune for trade quality.

Thanks for the advice and well caught!

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few other suggestions for SS, sometimes it can help to start with a pilot hole and then open up to the final size. Managing heat is also important as it can dull the bit as well as make the SS harder to cut, spraying some wd40 as your going can help. If your bit is walking around and your having trouble starting the hole you can get a center punch and hit it with a hammer in the location you want your hole, mostly helpful for controlling location. Your drilling pretty thin material so you shouldn’t have too much trouble, good luck!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back