drilled or not

dragonsoul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have question how can one tell if you can drill the tank or not?? i have a 125 and i want to drill it but not sure if its tampered glass or if its safe to drill how can you tell? or is it a shot in the dark?

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've drilled a bunch if tanks. It is hard to tell if glass is tempered. Sometimes there is an opaque label that will say tempered but this isn't dispositive. The one thing you have going for u is that tempered glass is more expensive so odds are in your favor that it isn't.

OP
OP
D

dragonsoul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how can odds be in my favor there is no label saying tempered or anything so should i take that chance on a 125 gal or should i just build my own overflow..... granted this will be my first drilled....

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually quite easy to tell if it is tempered or not when you look through tempered it will make laptop screens look weird as if you were wearing polarized sunglasses. Google how to tell if a tank is tempered you'll get tons of easy stuff.

What brand is it? I know deep blue has a big spec sheet that has all their tanks on it and what panels are tempered and then what panels aren't.

OP
OP
D

dragonsoul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not sure what type it is..... i got it with t8 lights, stand, tank, glass tops, and 5 powerheads 500$ so not sure it was a freshwater tank before i got it....... so put the computer screen to glass and if it looks hypnoic then its tempered?

Cmcnair663

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually quite easy to tell if it is tempered or not when you look through tempered it will make laptop screens look weird as if you were wearing polarized sunglasses. Google how to tell if a tank is tempered you'll get tons of easy stuff.

/agree. I also read that if you look through polarized lenses you'll see black lines if its tempered. Hope this helps.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
D

dragonsoul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i put my cell phone on white screen and i saw a little rainbow in the screen would that say its tempered?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find out who made the tank, then look up the tank specs from the company. Don't guess.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have thrown in there that just the tanks bottom would be tempered, I don't know of any that made the sides that way, you should be able to drill the back without issues.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the actual method to HOW TO TELL IF GLASS IS TEMPERED.

You have to turn your head or video screen or both until the screen goes black. That's when you can tell if the glass is tempered. Non-tempered glass results in an all black screen while tempered glass, the video screen has white/grey streaks going across it.

I've used this method a bunch of times, and it works.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back