Drilling a 75 gallon aqueon tank

JayD976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also blacked out with my truck windows which I wasn’t expecting because I know they’re tempered so much for a “control” test.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so this is my first time drilling an aquarium so I’m not exactly sure what I’m doing. I pretty sure it’s not tempered glass but it’s a 50/50 chance so if it is oh well no loss. What is the key to drilling into glass? Is it as hard as it sounds? And how do I connect the plumbing to the whole I drilled?
Make a template out of 1/4" acrylic to guide hole saw and act as a dam to keep diamond hole saw wet. Go slow and reduce pressure when you are about to break thru or you will chip the back side. Not a show stopper, but avoid it if you can.
Put a towel in the aquarium to catch slug.

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drilled the 40 breeder topfin today It worked!
IMG_5519.jpeg

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperd resist scratching much more than reg , polished edges is not always temperd , yet unfinished edges is always reg , I've broke few lol

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh man I’m sorry!!!!!! Honestly I would buy predrilled from now on because one the stress of drilling it was killer for me and two I’m dealing with all sorts of leaks by the glass sooo. That’s my opinion
I just assume all Aqueon tanks are tempered at this point.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing, brought my laptop and my glasses haha. I got lucky on the first one, which ended up having two bad seams when I tested the tank, unfortunately the replacement that showed up today was tempered and I didn't have the heart to ask the LFS owner to order another so this one could sit on the shelf all while the next one very well could be tempered as well. Been researching HOB overflows tonight instead!
Yeah I just put on HOB overflows on my Aqueon tanks now.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing to it if:

1. You take your time.
2. You set up properly before you start.
3. The glass isn't tempered.

I love Aqueon tanks; they're all I own. I was trying to find a link before I replied to this post; Aqueon has a chart on their website telling which panes are tempered from tank to tank.

Please post pictures!
Aqueon then has another page on their site or its in their T&C someplace I know I was shown it before, it states that aqueon will use any glass regardless of policy depending on cost and availability. So you can't take them at their word for anything.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back