Drilling mistake?

Should I get a new tank. When drilling my old tank the end got chipped.

• Yes

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would seal the bulkheads with silicone and test first. But I wouldn't be afraid to use the current tank.
Where should I add the silicon after the gasket, or on the other side. The cracks are in the interior of the tank.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say if a small chip will spread into a full crack when loaded with water. If it was in a basement on concrete, yes I would use it. On a floor with finished rooms below, no not me. No one can say for sure long term, and no one here will have to pay for a new tank or damage it causes if it leaks. I don't like to take these risks especially for $60, others do.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say if a small chip will spread into a full crack when loaded with water. If it was in a basement on concrete, yes I would use it. On a floor with finished rooms below, no not me. No one can say for sure long term, and no one here will have to pay for a new tank or damage it causes if it leaks. I don't like to take these risks especially for $60, others do.
It’s a basement with waterproof flooring.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Get a new tank at Petco when they are at buck-a-gallon.

Use this tank to drill a dozen or more of other holes for practice until you get better holes.

I also use this (from Amazon) for drilling...just took out the springs so that they are no working against me.

wolfcraft 4525404 Muilt-Angle Drill Guide Attachment

Before you know it, you'll be drilling your friend's tanks.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a new idea. Do you think it is possible to make this hole bigger and put the overflow box.

Absolutely, use a regular hole saw that is the same size as your glass bit and drill a hole in small piece of plywood.

Clamp that plywood to where you want to drill to use it as guide. It will also serve to hold water for cooling as you drill.

Problem solved.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new idea. Do you think it is possible to make this hole bigger and put the overflow box.

That is not a bad idea at all. If you can get a clean hole I think you are good to roll. If it does not work, well then we kinda answered the first question about whether or not you were safe going ahead with the chipped hole.

Go slow and good luck.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned I'ld keep the tank. I'ld coat both sides of glass with a bead of silicone, let it set up then attach gaskets & bulkheads. The silicone will absorb any vibrations & help seal any imperfections at the cut.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test it out. It shouldn’t take more then a day to show you if it’s going to seal. If that chip is on the outside then no sweat. You need the gasket on the inside to make a seal.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How thick is the glass?? My concern would be if the plumbing flexes even a little while your doing maintenance or you bump into it it's more likely to shatter at that point bc of the chips being a weak spot. I'd honestly would just replace it and redrill the hole.

I always used a piece of tape across the bottom of where I'm drilling to hold the glass in place so the drill doesnt snap it when it's almost though. I never push on the drill. I just hold it steady and allow the weight if the drill do the work, it takes longer but it's worth it. Always keep the hole lubricated and cool, and right before you cut though to the end I always change my hand position to remove most of the weight of the drill and to keep the drill from popping through the last bit of glass.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sorry forgot to add them

E3A441D6-5B83-45C2-BB2F-27B6DAB201DB.jpeg 8E507FC2-40B8-461F-91D1-78BBFED53354.jpeg E3EEEF4B-BF18-4CFD-93A7-2C8A704C3696.jpeg D2608DD6-DD34-46D7-BA6B-C91F336F582D.jpeg
May I ask what your primary concern if you were to use this tank?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would seal the bulkheads with silicone and test first. But I wouldn't be afraid to use the current tank.
Same here! Just get yourself a good silicone. Normal silicone doesn’t stick to rubber but they’re are blends of silicone that will.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where should I add the silicon after the gasket, or on the other side. The cracks are in the interior of the tank.
Add the silicone from the outside in. First set the interior bulkhead and gaskets. Be sure to lubricate one side of the gasket. Do not lubricate the side that you are siliconing because the silicone won’t stick to lube.
When you have set the interior side in, Caulk the backside. fill the void between glass and bulkhead . Then attach the nut to secure your bulkhead. There should be extra silicone that oozes out when you tighten the bulkhead flange or nut. This will also seal the plastic to the glass. Keep in mind this bulkhead will not be easy to remove in the future. Allow at least 24 hours for silicone to cure before testing.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 155 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back