Drilling new holes, cover old one

Jeepjockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background story first, question In third paragraph for those who want to skip.

Hello all. I’m in the slow beginning of setting up my 66 gal tank and still have a while to go. I picked it up used and was plumbed with PVC utilizing 2 holes on the bottom glass panel (Overflow and return). I’m using an existing stand I built for a different set up and the holes are just a bit off. I live in Europe where doing things DIY is not as easy as the states (and it’s more expensive) so I’m not in the mindset of altering the stand as wood is expensive. They dont really have Home Depot style stores, at least not like what we have in the states. In fact to get PVC, I have to go to a specialty store and most only sell to commercial companies, not private use so it makes it harder to find what I need. Now, to be honest I’d rather have an additional overflow as well so I’m looking to drill on the back glass with two overflows and return getting all equipment needed from BRS If i cannot find locally.

Question is, what is the best way to close/cover the existing holes on the bottom panel, especially for long term. Silicone glass over the holes or bulk heads and end caps? I can put the end caps on with the tank off the stand but not while on the stand which is why I cannot use the existing holes for The actual overflow.

Thanks in advance for the help.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a piece of glass the same thickness as the bottom panel, and silicone a "patch" over the holes. I would use one piece to cover both holes, and overlap the holes by a couple of inches. I know that others have done this successfully (you can try a search on R2R for examples).

You could also use bulkheads and caps, but I would be more concerned about leaks around the bulkheads.

OP
OP
J

Jeepjockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a piece of glass the same thickness as the bottom panel, and silicone a "patch" over the holes. I would use one piece to cover both holes, and overlap the holes by a couple of inches. I know that others have done this successfully (you can try a search on R2R for examples).

You could also use bulkheads and caps, but I would be more concerned about leaks around the bulkheads.

That was my thought as well and i will search, thanks. Any particular reason to use same thickness? Reason I'm asking is the glass is 1cm thick which is little less than 1/2 inch. I have lots of 1/4 inch glass laying around but none at 1/2 inch and it would probably cost ridiculous amounts to find that size and have it cut. as mentioned, things are not as cheap here as the states. lol
thanks again.

Sinfullchef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my thought as well and i will search, thanks. Any particular reason to use same thickness? Reason I'm asking is the glass is 1cm thick which is little less than 1/2 inch. I have lots of 1/4 inch glass laying around but none at 1/2 inch and it would probably cost ridiculous amounts to find that size and have it cut. as mentioned, things are not as cheap here as the states. lol
thanks again.
I don't see why using 1/4" glass wouldn't work. The holes are probably less than 1.5" in diameter for a tank that size and the amount of pressure needed to crack that glass within such a small area would be extreme. I would lay the glass over the holes with plenty of overlap and silicone the mating surface, the edge inside the tank, and the inside of the hole under the tank. May be a bit overkill but then again it is easier to do it now than later.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks again.
I was thinking that the tank glass was already something less than 1/2" thick - that's pretty heavy glass for a 66g tank. 1/4" should be fine.

OP
OP
J

Jeepjockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ya’ll for the input. That’s the way I was planning but wanted to hear other opinions as well. Thanks again!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back