Drip acclimation with seachem prime

tgray9937

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got flaming prawn gobies and a new biota manderin baby. Right before getting them my brain went alittle crazy like it does thinking. I know biota voids a warranty for drip acclimating your manderin and the research is understandable about the harmful affects of ammonium converting back to harmful ammonia but my theory is the use of prime. But this is were I think my thoughts differ from the other thread on prime use and I want to check and see what other reefers thought on the subject. My thought is treating the incoming tank with prime prior to the drip starting. Because it seems it would be easier to get the dosage right for the gallons in the tank vs how much prime you would need for a bag of water. Then as you drip acclimate the water in the bag in theory could convert any harmful ammonia or prevent it from converting. I did not drip acclimate my fish but I added the prime in my tank while the temperature was acclimating then I took out so much water and replaced with my tank water treated with prime for 45 minutes. It seemed with the addition of prime to the tank water that my flaming prawns and baby mandy seemed much more responsive with less stress.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a baby dragonet shipped yesterday. I floated the bag for 20 minutes in the tank and then acclimated by added water with a cup every 10-15 minutes in the bag. After 25 minutes the dragonet wan’t moving so I decided to put it in the tank immediately.

It’s been fine as soon as it went in the tank. It’s not eating yet but that’s another issue.

OP
OP
T

tgray9937

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hatch baby brine shrimp for mine. I found a great article, it is a must read ( https://reefbuilders.com/2017/01/25/paul-bs-unique-perspective-on-keeping-mandarins/ ). The shrimp are most affective as soon as they hatch because they consume their egg sack containing alot of amino acids. If you need any advice on what I used for the build let me know and I can send some links from Amazon. Its easy and cheap. I have been feeding my male biota mandy bbs since I got him last year and he is a torpedo with a double chin.

17063263063637445675192891524201.jpg

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got flaming prawn gobies and a new biota manderin baby. Right before getting them my brain went alittle crazy like it does thinking. I know biota voids a warranty for drip acclimating your manderin and the research is understandable about the harmful affects of ammonium converting back to harmful ammonia but my theory is the use of prime. But this is were I think my thoughts differ from the other thread on prime use and I want to check and see what other reefers thought on the subject. My thought is treating the incoming tank with prime prior to the drip starting. Because it seems it would be easier to get the dosage right for the gallons in the tank vs how much prime you would need for a bag of water. Then as you drip acclimate the water in the bag in theory could convert any harmful ammonia or prevent it from converting. I did not drip acclimate my fish but I added the prime in my tank while the temperature was acclimating then I took out so much water and replaced with my tank water treated with prime for 45 minutes. It seemed with the addition of prime to the tank water that my flaming prawns and baby mandy seemed much more responsive with less stress.
Just no. Float the bag, test the salinity of the bagged water, and put the fish into a tank with the same (or close) salinity. If that tank is not your display (or qt), acclimate from there to your desired salinity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back