0   0   0

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I meant free ammonia as to total
Total ammonia is what you measure with hobby chemistry kits and represents the sum of the ionized and free ammonia.. Free ammonia is unionized ammonia and is the toxic version. It can measured with test films like the ammonia alert badge. It represents, very approximately, 5-10% of the total ammonia measurement. Calculators are available to estimate how much free ammonia exists for a given amount of total ammonia and for a given temperature and pH of the water.

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free ammonia is a portion of total ammonia, dependant largely upon pH. Higher the pH, higher the free ammonia. What's the pH of your tank?
Need to buy new test kit mines expired will get soon

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
api but expired getting new thanks
Have not been able to get new test kits yet but in the meantime I tried some media made by Fluval. I am seeing a positive change but still will get everything suggested

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the Seachem Ammonia test kit, tests for both total ammonia and free ammonia. I think its a hard to read test however.

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using copper, that will mess with total ammonia liquid kits.
Not medicating no reason to little goby been in QT for a month. Did not know how shy they are eating well so far. Just the ammonia level a small problem. Is it a common thing to medicate automatically?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not medicating no reason to little goby been in QT for a month. Did not know how shy they are eating well so far. Just the ammonia level a small problem. Is it a common thing to medicate automatically?
No

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the Seachem Ammonia test kit, tests for both total ammonia and free ammonia. I think its a hard to read test however.
Thanks I do remember them being touchy but that's from about 20 years ago. I am one of those who do not test constantly or dose. I just read the article suggested about ph effecting free ammonia. I guess I have to change my approach not lazy just fearfully of putting chemicals in a tank that visibly is fine. The article and other link are very interesting and deserve a read. I am going to read it probably for the 5th or6th time and ask questions as how it actually kills the fish. Never said I am a genius

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got me on "ignore"? See post #19

Is your test kit free ammonia (Seachem Alert Badge), or a liquid test kit such as API?

Free ammonia is a portion of total ammonia, dependant largely upon pH. Higher the pH, higher the free ammonia. What's the pH of your tank?
Sorry I got lost way back because of someone else posting about PRIME. Now that I can walk I went and got Salifert test kits. My PH is8.2. The Ammonia measures zero. I also have bacteria if needed, and will get a Seachem alert badge if I can find it on Amazon. My LFS did not carry it

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got me on "ignore"? See post #19

Is your test kit free ammonia (Seachem Alert Badge), or a liquid test kit such as API?

Irritation means causing damage to the gill tissue which may or may not heal. The fish will live many days with this exposure. Could leave the fish weak and sensitive to disease later after exposure to ammonia ends.

Lethal is the fish dying within a short period of exposure, like hours to a day.
So interested as to fire heat is given to a solid and the gases reach a combustible temp when O2 is added it will combust. Using this approach what actually happens when ammonia touches the fish it being a chemical reaction?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 76 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back