Help! Dead fish, orb over 500 corals closing up

  • Thread starter Thread starter daniel58
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
It sounds to me like it might be a contaminant. My first thought was velvet, but if there were no new additions that's definitely not the case.

After either a water change or usage of prime it appears to help but goes back to its problematic state within a short period of time.

Are there any air fresheners that spray on a timer near the tank? Usage of cleaning products? Anything at all that would emit fumes in the general vicinity of the tank?
No absolutely nothing like that, I’m always very careful of what comes into the house as far as chemicals go. Plus the other two tanks are completely fine.

I’m really at the point of no return with it. I feel like I’ve tried everything.

I just cannot understand what could be doing this.

I’ve spent hours on Google, spoken to multiple people.

Even resorted to AI lol
 
I use Hanna checkers, but have had an icp test done. Just the iodine was 2.2ppm extremely high. I do not know if this is the cause.
High levels can cause gill damage which can affect oxygen exchange and even dehydration/edema especially a level higher than .08 ppm
 
I use Hanna checkers, but have had an icp test done. Just the iodine was 2.2ppm extremely high. I do not know if this is the cause.
High levels can cause gill damage which can affect oxygen exchange and even dehydration/edema especially a level higher than .08 ppm
And possibly cause coral issues and high ORP?

Since all the water changes I’ve done a home test kit on iodine but it was within normal range.
 
And possibly cause coral issues and high ORP?

Since all the water changes I’ve done a home test kit on iodine but it was within normal range.
Perhaps next ICP will disclose different. Most salt mixes have iodine content and has potential to become elevated with addition of iodine
 
And possibly cause coral issues and high ORP?

Since all the water changes I’ve done a home test kit on iodine but it was within normal range.
Perhaps next ICP will disclose different. Most salt mixes have iodine content and has potential to become elevated with addition of iodine
Yeah next icp will be interesting, we only get samples sent away each month from nz though so I have to wait
 
I might look at the salt mix as the source of iodine. it wouldn't be the first time a poorly mixed batch of salt had obscenely high iodine levels. Are you dosing any trace elements?
 
I might look at the salt mix as the source of iodine. it wouldn't be the first time a poorly mixed batch of salt had obscenely high iodine levels. Are you dosing any trace elements?
I’ve recently changed salt brands from aqua forest to fauna Marin to see if that helps.

Yes I was doing alk and have since discovered the ingredients, on Friday I threw that out and have started on aquaforest KH.

I found the ingredients of what I was using this,

Reef revolution + trace
Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Iodide, Fluoride, Bromide.

So that is now gone, maybe it was my issues and more water changes are now required. I’m waiting on more carbon a salt.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new