DrufusReef tank build

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my water-box delivered on 6/24. It was a bit intimidating ..
IMG_20200624_101837_01.jpg

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SWEET..conrats..following along :cool:

OP
OP
DrufusReef

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the final aquascape to start. I will be keeping extra rock in the sump if needed, but trying to go minimal for plenty of swim room. Let me know what you think. (Sorry it's not a great picture.)

IMG_20200702_023557.jpg
Btw that rock on the left is another arch/swim through that I can see from the couch. I will post pictures of that once I have water in the tank and some fish.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Btw that rock on the left is another arch/swim through that I can see from the couch. I will post pictures of that once I have water in the tank and some fish.
careful on the fish ?? what are your plans? on stocking, fish n rock,full reef?? cannot add fish immedatley??poss a cheap pair of clowns/damsels to rehome after cycle??think hard about full qt ,brand new system,this is the time to keep totally disease free ;) :)

OP
OP
DrufusReef

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
careful on the fish ?? what are your plans? on stocking, fish n rock,full reef?? cannot add fish immedatley??poss a cheap pair of clowns/damsels to rehome after cycle??think hard about full qt ,brand new system,this is the time to keep totally disease free ;) :)
I am still waiting on a return pump before I get it wet. I am not happy with the one I got from a friend. Once I get the tank wet I plan on cycling with Doctor Tim's (or something similar). Once the tank is cycled I plan on waiting a few days just to make sure there's not another mini cycle. Once that's done I plan on adding 4-5 blue/green reef chromis to start. Is that a good plan?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes!! lol..i took as seeing pics this weekend w fish..lol :rolleyes:

OP
OP
DrufusReef

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still waiting on a return pump before I get it wet. I am not happy with the one I got from a friend. Once I get the tank wet I plan on cycling with Doctor Tim's (or something similar). Once the tank is cycled I plan on waiting a few days just to make sure there's not another mini cycle. Once that's done I plan on adding 4-5 blue/green reef chromis to start. Is that a good plan?
Now you asked about stocking so I assume you mean long term? Ma
yes!! lol..i took as seeing pics this weekend w fish..lol :rolleyes:
Haha. No. I don't even have sand or electric run. I think I will have the bones finished this weekend, but I'm about 4 weeks away from adding fish

OP
OP
DrufusReef

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But since you mentioned my live stock. Let me hear what your opinion is on this fish list. The Chromis I mentioned, Black Comb Tooth Blenny, Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse, One Spot Fox Face, Richmonds Wrasse, Yellow eyed Kole/Tomini Kole and two Wyoming wite clowns. Added in that order?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
love it..corals or fish only? only two i would consider changing is tomini over y eye kole,and magnifigent foxy ,just preference ;) what are your dimentions?

OP
OP
DrufusReef

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love it..corals or fish only? only two i would consider changing is tomini over y eye kole,and magnifigent foxy ,just preference ;) what are your dimentions?
I absolutely plan on doing coral. The display is only 4' by 2' (130g total system volume).
I would love a magnificent, but I think a one spot fits my size better. It also gives me room to add something like a powder blue assuming aggression is low

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
powders are nasty!! even if nice had one for 5 yrs in 240 approx 5 other tangs one day come home to beaten on larger rs sailfin..moved ,next day beaten 8yr old purple,both fish recovered,hard to stomach,had to be done powder blue "disappered"that night ;)

OP
OP
DrufusReef

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a few since an update. The tank is cycled and I've got 3 Greenies (Reef Chromis) in the tank. I wanted to put around 5 in, but only 3 looked healthy to me at the LFS. I left the lights off for the first 1 1/2 days with no feeding to get them acclimated (they were over fed when I got them). Two of them went to one side of the tank and looked lethargic, and the other one went to the other side and looked almost dead (floating vertical). When I turned the lights on and fed them the 2 together tried to eat, but apparently the pellets I have are to large an they just spit them out. Luckily I was making an oyster dressing for a faux Thanks Giving so I had fresh oysters. I diced a small piece up and boy did the 2 grouped together take to it. I was worried about the third guy because he didn't react, but about an hour later they got their lost buddy and they were all schooling together at the front of the tank playing in the flow. I think we are off to a good start.

IMG_20200801_152727 (1).jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back