Dry rock after cycle

Postullio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8 month old tank. I was wondering thoughts on adding brand new dry rock as it needs a little more rock. I've read mixed opinions

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any problem in doing that. just to be on safer side soak the rock in salt water for a day or 2. this should lodge lose particles off, which might make ur DT's water cloudy.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero issue. Funny to think that is even up for debate. Rinse it good to avoid your display being a cloudy mess and that's about it.

OP
OP
P

Postullio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero issue. Funny to think that is even up for debate. Rinse it good to avoid your display being a cloudy mess and that's about it.
This was my thought too but then I started seeing people say it wasn't a good idea cause it would start another cycle but that wouldn't make sense if bacteria is established and its not dry from an old tank, its brand new. Well thanks for the replies

NoobandknowIT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks, humble add to this thread:

Months ago my cycled tank with dry rock that had been cycled (first diatom bloom over, 2 clowns and a black long spined urchin happy). I had one more chunk of dry rock that I thought - after rinsing with RODI - would be OK to add. NOPE. Ph, nitrites and nitrates were fine (did not have ability to check CA or Mg), salinity was 1.023, temp 79 deg F. Should have had the dry rock in a few days in a separate small container with the tank's water and maybe some bacteria boost? Hmmmmm....

TIA

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back