Dual overflow drain plumbing options

Floowid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm beginning to assemble all the expensive things for a 150 gallon reef tank. I already have the tank and stand, and the tank has dual overflows with 2 drain holes in each overflow. I would like to do a bean animal style overflow and I am weighing my options. If not bean animal, then herbie(s). I would rather only manage one gate valve full siphon adjustment. I'm not afraid to drill the glass but I would rather not if I can be happy with a solution that avoids it. Here are some of the things I am considering.

1. full siphon and emergency left side, durso trickle in the right side, and bear with me here, I am thinking about taking the other right side hole and coming out the bottom, across and over to the left overflow, up over the back of the tank and down into the bottom of the left overflow. Once this equalizer pipe is primed it would maintain the water level between the two overflows so the right doesn't get stagnant, and *should* keep both sides flowing so long as it remains water tight and the water level in both overflows remains above the entrance and exit of this pipe. I know, I can hear several voices screaming at their monitors even now. Return up over the back.
2. Forego the emergency drain. Full siphon left, durso trickle right and the other two holes now plumbed together to equalize the levels and fight stagnancy in the right side. No emergency means not a true bean animal but kind of a weird dislocated herbie drain. Return up over the back. I would have to put a T and a valve in the middle of the equalizer pipe to drain/clean/flush it of any debris that collects in it.
3. Herbie each side. Return up over the back. I don't like this one because even though some people make it look easy, I don't want to manage 2 full siphons.
4. Dust off the glass drills, determine with complete assuredness the glass behind the overflows is not tempered, and drill a hole in the back of each overflow. Use these to create an equalization pipe that does not rely on maintaining siphon over the back. Left side full siphon and emergency, right side durso and return plumbing.
5. Rip out both overflows, plug or use the holes for closed loop, and install a ghost/coast to coast overflow. If I'm drilling anyway, I like this option a lot. However I did something like this once before and the factory installed overflow silicon was a pain to remove, but even worse, it left a permanent ghost mark on the glass that never completely went away and annoyed me every time I looked at it.
6. Rip out one overflow, drill a 3rd hole in the back of the one overflow and do full siphon, durso, and emergency in one side, plug the other holes or closed loop. Return over the back.

Please vote, cheer, jeer, offer suggestions, whatever you think might be helpful. I'm not afraid to drill the tank as long as I know the glass is not tempered. But I like the idea of *not* drilling the tank better. I'm leaning toward #2 or #3 with a slight lead going to 2 for the only managing one gate valve full siphon adjustment. If I'm not being lazy I think I would be happiest in the long run with #4. or #6.

OP
OP
F

Floowid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forgo the emergency pipe(s)...
You are right. I just watched a video with a guy who demonstrated his tank pump will run dry before his tank overflows with all drains plugged. I am using a pretty big sump with a roomy return pump section so I don't think I'll have that same situation, plus I like to sleep at night.

I've thought a little more about the second option. If I used a 4-way instead of a T in the equalizer pipe, I could take the 4th pipe up the back to just above the running water line of the tank, but below the very top. Then a couple 90s and back down as the emergency drain. That would take some pretty precise plumbing to get it right. Too low and it will dribble all the time, too high and you would still overflow a little in an emergency. Would have to put stand pipes in the equalizer pipe holes to avoid draining both overflows in the event the emergency drain goes full emergency. I'll have to think about this one a little more.

I am beginning to think I wont be able to do this to my satisfaction without drilling.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back