Dual Overflow, Herbie drain, and a Trigger Sump

504Refugee

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 25, 2025
Messages
29
Reaction score
15
Location
Oklahoma City
What state or country do you live in
Oklahoma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I hope all is well.

Just to jump right into it, I have an emerald 39 trigger sump. The sump only has 2 drain "lines"

I have a 180-gallon, dual corner overflows tank. I would like to convert this from the current durso drains, and switch to a herbie style and have the returns come over the back.

I've read a lot and looked over the Gmac herbie guide a bunch, and I think I know the answer already :disappointed-face: but is there any way to successfully run this setup with just the 2 drain lines into the trigger sump? If not, would I just run 2 lines there and then float the other 2 drain lines into the sock chamber?

I cant be the first person to try and use dual overflows and the herbie drain with a trigger sump, just asking if anyone has tried this or familiar with a work around?
 
The correct way to do this is to use 4 drains with 2 gate valves. 1 valved drain and 1 emergency drain in each box. If you wanted to combine drains, you could combine the 2 secondary drains with a T, and there shouldn't be a problem, but this will reduce the amount of water the secondary drains can handle in an emergency, so it would still be best to run 4 lines. You can not combine the valved drains.
 
Yes to the above.
And- Yes to your question. run the primary drains to the socks and have the emergency drains just into the sock chamber.
I would not combine any of the drains in any way.
 
The correct way to do this is to use 4 drains with 2 gate valves. 1 valved drain and 1 emergency drain in each box. If you wanted to combine drains, you could combine the 2 secondary drains with a T, and there shouldn't be a problem, but this will reduce the amount of water the secondary drains can handle in an emergency, so it would still be best to run 4 lines. You can not combine the valved drains.
Yes to the above.
And- Yes to your question. run the primary drains to the socks and have the emergency drains just into the sock chamber.
I would not combine any of the drains in any way.
Thank you both!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 34.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 23 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new