Dual reactor questions

Knr499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on installing the BRS dual reactor, my questions are.

1. Need suggestions on good quiet pump.

2. Based on my current setup, where in line should it be And is it possible to plumb into return line?

All input appreciated.
1C53886A-024D-48AA-8C4B-A3EA64C9C180.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put it inline with the return you need to set it up so the flow to the reactor can be slowed way down without slowing down your return pump.

obaptista

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if your return is powerful enough to feed the reactor and give you the desired turnover in the tank. I would get a pump in the 600 to 700gph range for that. But you may consider a second pump to the reactor then to the display. If your main dies, you'll have a redundant return. HTH

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend getting the dual reactor with the sicce 1.5 that they sell as a package. Hard to beat for the price. I always ran mine in the return chamber but didn’t use a refugium. I would pull from behind the return pump and return either into the DT or in front of the return pump.

OP
OP
Knr499

Knr499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My return pump is adjustable from 350-1050gph So i assume it would be possible to tee off return line a bypass to reactor back into return line, but would that be as efficient as separate pump from sump back to sump?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the BRS dual reactors. From the size of your tank (what I can see in the photo of the stand), your adjustable pump sounds like just enough, running full-out, to T-off of. (I would add a gate or ball valve for further adjustability.) In that size sump with that size tank, I wouldn't be particular about what chamber you pull from and what chamber you return to-- because the water in your system is the water in your system, and only so much water will go through the reactors at any given time, anyway. You have your filter sock and skimmer working as well. Do know that the standard BRS white tubing doesn't bend more than in a fairly wide arch. You can always upgrade to the silicone tubing-- but I have experienced leaks that way. Best wishes!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS used to pair the dual reactor with the Cobalt MJ-1200, and come to think about it, the system comes with an inline ball valve. The cobalt is very small and just pushes onto the end of the tubing. Then you are not interconnected to your main system in any way, and can just walk the whole thing to your sink to clean. Also, if you ever want to run the unit as temorary filtration on a QT or secondary tank, it's stand-alone.

OP
OP
Knr499

Knr499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I have decided to add two bashsea 4-12 media reactors (1 for gfo and 1 for carbon). Chose these because they match my bashsea sump and have been happy with their products. I will be teeing them separately off return line and feeding back into sump. My question now is about the 1/2“ valve I’m installing on each. Are the Two Little Fishes valves dependable enough for this or should I go pvc gate or ball valve.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back