Dual return pumps suggestions on Red Sea 425 XL

craftsman1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. New Reefer over here. I am planning to purchase a Red Sea 425 xl and want to run two return pumps for redundancy. One pump will go directly to return pipe. Other pump will power a UV sterilizer and then t into the return pipe. A few questions-do I have to have the same pump times two for things to work or can I mix and match? Secondly, if the recommend flow is 1,000 gph, should I shoot for each pump that can produce 500 gph or get pumps that produce 1,000 each and then scale them back with either a controller or gate valve? Lastly, what are some recommendations for pumps for what I am intending to do? Thanks everyone!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all. New Reefer over here. I am planning to purchase a Red Sea 425 xl and want to run two return pumps for redundancy. One pump will go directly to return pipe. Other pump will power a UV sterilizer and then t into the return pipe. A few questions-do I have to have the same pump times two for things to work or can I mix and match? Secondly, if the recommend flow is 1,000 gph, should I shoot for each pump that can produce 500 gph or get pumps that produce 1,000 each and then scale them back with either a controller or gate valve? Lastly, what are some recommendations for pumps for what I am intending to do? Thanks everyone!
First I dont think you're adding redundancy - but thats not the question (IMHO, you're adding complexity).

but IMHO:

1. You do not need to have 2x the pump on each side - as long as its for a short time.
2. Whatever the recommend flow is - I would match with both pumps. OR you could get an adjustable pump - that allows you to set them both to 500 gallons/hour - but if one fails - set one to 1000 and replace the other one
3. As to which brand - you're choice - the flow-rate will depend on the head (the height) of the sump to the tank, etc etc. IMHO more flow is better in general than less

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 425 as well but do not have a UV. If I we're to install one, I would not tee into any stock plumbing, even the return. My guess is it may create some back pressure and just add complication. Why not just keep the UV a separate small circuit and plumb the return right alongside the main return and zip tie the pipe to it?

Then you don't have complications with two pump flows or backpressure/gate valve issues.

If you're set on two pumps for safety, I guess you would have to size two pumps no larger than the max the return can handle and divide by two. Then make sure it fits your UV requirement.

These are just my thoughts; I've never used a UV.

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read this as well:

Back