Dual return pump?

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed in the TSA videos they seem to run dual return pumps a lot. Any reason other then redundancy? I feel like if your going to have a power failure your scenario, # of pumps doesn't matter. And if you are running 2 of the same pumps, the duty cycle would be similar and they would go around the same time?

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
They don't always go out at a fixed no. of duty cycles. I have run both configurations, and my conclusion is to run a DC pump (or two). AC pumps, including Sicce, do not do well if you switch them off and on multiple times a day. I like to switch off my return pumps when feeding four times a day.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed in the TSA videos they seem to run dual return pumps a lot. Any reason other then redundancy? I feel like if your going to have a power failure your scenario, # of pumps doesn't matter. And if you are running 2 of the same pumps, the duty cycle would be similar and they would go around the same time?

Redundancy as you noted. Also dedicated lines directing flow to different areas of the display. If DC pump can alternate power level (I've done left side, right side, alternate power to simulate high, low, tide).

With regards to power failure it does matter. You can plug them into different controller power bars. You can plug them into different power panel circuit breakers (ideal). Can also leave one on, one off, in case of failure or maintenance turn one off, stop code/programs, alerts, swap them out, enable code, clean, replace.

There are a lot of different reasons why people run two return pumps. They are a pretty vital part of our display life support. I run two with a dry spare. I never clean Friday - Sunday in case something happens. All pumps are the same so I can swap as needed or use one for a can bird.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redundancy as you noted. Also dedicated lines directing flow to different areas of the display. If DC pump can alternate power level (I've done left side, right side, alternate power to simulate high, low, tide).

With regards to power failure it does matter. You can plug them into different controller power bars. You can plug them into different power panel circuit breakers (ideal). Can also leave one on, one off, in case of failure or maintenance turn one off, stop code/programs, alerts, swap them out, enable code, clean, replace.

There are a lot of different reasons why people run two return pumps. They are a pretty vital part of our display life support. I run two with a dry spare. I never clean Friday - Sunday in case something happens. All pumps are the same so I can swap as needed or use one for a can bird.
The dry spare is how I had always thought of redundancy.

When alternating power from pump to pump to create side to side flow, are you using a specific controller (like a Neptune)?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is one way for sure.

When alternating power from pump to pump to create side to side flow, are you using a specific controller (like a Neptune)?

Yes. I was doing this with my controller. Neptune. It could also be done with GHL or Hydros or say open source, Reef Angel. In my case I was using a pair of Neptune Cor 15 pumps. I had each running a dedicated line that had a 1" sea swirl for the return. Opposite sides of the display. Basically I created a virtual outlet using their OSC command. I think it is short for Oscillate. Anyway it is a simple on/off with a duration. Then on each of the Cor return pumps I added code using the OSC command to adjust the power. I never shut them off but one would increase to 80% and the other would drop down to 5%.

Anyway lots of different ways to do it I'm sure but this worked for me.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef angle? I must look into this.

Reef Angel. Typo on my part. Anyway it is open source based on Arduino platform. Having used it for a bit I have to say it has some of the best custom libraries available. Hobbyist can get into some pretty custom code for light and flow control based on how the main code block works. Quality isn't like GHL or Neptune but it is decent and works. Reef Pi is another option if open source is your thing.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Angel. Typo on my part. Anyway it is open source based on Arduino platform. Having used it for a bit I have to say it has some of the best custom libraries available. Hobbyist can get into some pretty custom code for light and flow control based on how the main code block works. Quality isn't like GHL or Neptune but it is decent and works. Reef Pi is another option if open source is your thing.
I used to be. I feel like time is a huge factor nowadays.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Yeah me too. I have never had a return pump go out completely on me, ever.
I do keep spares, just in case.

I would think that even with a controller, using different pumps going at different flow rates and times, it would mess with any drain system. durso, bean, herbie.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back