Pump Recommendation (For Skimmer, Return and In-Tank Circulation)

PharmrJohn

Maker of Enchiladas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I've done a little research, and this is what I've come up with concerning a Return Pump, Skimmer Pump and Circulation Pumps. I have a 90-gallon main tank plus a 20-gallon long Fuge set up that will support a Fish/Reef Aquarium. I understand that Koralias are a thing of the past. Not sure why, as I had nothing but good luck with the brand in the past, but I'm willing to take others advise in the matter. And that advise seems to steer me away from the brand (if anyone knows specifically WHY Koralias are not a good choice, please let me know). I am going to be running an RO Regal-150 SSS Skimmer. With the water displacement (with 145 lbs. of live rock), I'm thinking I have about 75 gallons in the main tank and perhaps 18 gallons in the Fuge. About 100 gallons total, RO will handle waste on the heavy stocking side.

As a return pump, I'm thinking an ORLUSHY DC-9000 adjustable pump (20 different settings). That'll give me 2377 GpH maximum output (ramping up to the 10 to 20 times total water volume requirement (and add that much to the flow value within the tank itself above)). I'm not planning on running this full throttle, rather, making up any difference with two circulation pumps, one on either side (see below for what I have in mind). Those two circulation pumps would need a total output of about 3000 GpH. I DO NOT know how good ORLUSHY pumps are. They are not even in the running as the 'best of' 2024 models listed. Thus, without a recommendation for the use of such, I am hesitant to trust.

As a skimmer pump, I'm thinking the same as the return pump. Now here I do not know ANYTHING concerning how much GpH to push through it. I've tried to look it up but have failed thus far. I definitely need some advice concerning the choice I have laid out.

Concerning circulation pumps in the 90, I'm thinking about the FREESEA powerhead wavemaker (two of them, one on each side). These pumps basically look like a two-headed Koralia set up). They are rated at 1600 GpH each and are adjustable. Again, I would not be running these full throttle, but would have the ability to adjust, rounding out what the return pump adds to the system flow. This brand got top notch ratings in the 'best of' article I read. And they are surprisingly inexpensive.

So yeah. That's what I've come up with in the past day or two of perusing. In addition, if my numbers concerning flow are off, please let me know. I know that I WAS NOT running this much flow in my past iteration, which may have led to its demise.

Thank you, Everybody. Y'all have helped out so much thus far. You have no idea how much I appreciate it. J.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, skimmers come with an appropriate sized pump. Even if you buy a used skimmer that no longer has a pump, you can go to the manufacturer site and purchase a new one (or find the specs and buy another brand if you want).

Second, the "10x per hour" flow recommendation generally assumes no other circulation pumps. In other words, you don't actually need 10x. You will want a pump that is powerful enough to compensate for any head loss (e.g. if your sump is on a different floor) and can meet the drain speed (more specifically, won't pump more water into the tank than the drain(s) can handle).

Regarding Koralia powerheads, I haven't heard anything negative about them. It may just be that they're an older brand and not as flashy as some of the newer ones... I say get something in your budget that you feel comfortable with re: reviews, etc.

Good luck!

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the flow needs to meet different criteria for different tanks. The first consideration, after you settle on your rockscape, is to try to eliminate any dead spots where detritus can settle. After that, it's really a matter of what corals you keep and where you place them. You will likely need to adjust (or completely change) your powerheads as your tank matures, to meet the needs of the corals. So, just get something you feel comfortable with and be prepared to make adjustments...

OP
OP
PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn

Maker of Enchiladas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, skimmers come with an appropriate sized pump. Even if you buy a used skimmer that no longer has a pump, you can go to the manufacturer site and purchase a new one (or find the specs and buy another brand if you want).

Second, the "10x per hour" flow recommendation generally assumes no other circulation pumps. In other words, you don't actually need 10x. You will want a pump that is powerful enough to compensate for any head loss (e.g. if your sump is on a different floor) and can meet the drain speed (more specifically, won't pump more water into the tank than the drain(s) can handle).

Regarding Koralia powerheads, I haven't heard anything negative about them. It may just be that they're an older brand and not as flashy as some of the newer ones... I say get something in your budget that you feel comfortable with re: reviews, etc.

Good luck

Good luck!

Gotcha. As you can tell, I really do overthink things. Good sometimes, rabbitholing other times. Didn't even consider the skimmer pump issue. Got my old ETSS second hand, so had to buy the pump separate. Thanks for the input. I am appreciative.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back