Dual Tank Stand and Canopy Build

rybitski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This project has taken much longer than originally thought.. The biggest hold up has been my lack of access to a shop. I live in an apt and could not bring all of my tools along with me. I rely on the university scene shop to build all of my projects and this summer I have been hardpressed to get time in the shop due to staffing issues. At any rate my stand will hold a 90g and 20g tall tank. The 20g will eventually be set up as a refugium as soon as I figure out where I can get some algae for it. I wanted to have the refugium on display instead of hiding it under the stand. After taking some advice from the community I covered the top of the stand with 3/4" ply for stability, it adds more strength to the stand than you'd think.
Well enough talking here are some pictures. Sorry for the quality, all I have is a cell phone camera right now..
2011-05-31_09-23-44_44.jpg

stand%206-27.jpg

P.S. This will be a build log as the project is not yet complete.

OP
OP
rybitski

rybitski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to upload some quick pictures:

My girlfriend was about to strangle me over this mess last week. You can see the 'Project' taking over the entire dinning room. Luckily someone came last week to pick up my old stand so that is now gone.
2011-07-14_15-51-07_583.jpg

2011-07-14_23-46-56_786.jpg

Starting to fill with RODI water :bigsmile:
2011-07-15_15-49-01_626.jpg

2011-07-15_15-48-49_293.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rybitski

rybitski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions or comments on my setup are welcome. I have been in the hobby for a couple of years now, but that doesn't mean that I'm doing it correctly. Let me know if you see something in my setup that just isn't going to work.
Installed a GFCI outlet in waterproof conduit.
DSCF2326.jpg

I have a small skimmer that will sit in here. I usually put a filter pad in the drip tray to catch sediment and other nasties
DSCF2328.jpg

DSCF2327.jpg

Just a note: the canopy that is on here is my old one and will be rebuilt later.
DSCF2322.jpg

The frosty piece of acrylic will be lit from either end with blue LED's so that it glows. In this picture you can see where I cut a groove in the back of the door for the wire. I will eventually cover it with wood putty and re-paint the door.
DSCF2325.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rybitski

rybitski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSCF2329.jpg

DSCF2330.jpg

DSCF2332.jpg

DSCF2340.jpg

DSCF2345.jpg

The aquarium sitting to the left is a 15g and not the 20 g tall that will eventually be sitting there.

OP
OP
rybitski

rybitski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished wiring to doors and mixed in some instant ocean. More pictures to come soon of a little aquascaping.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! You may want to reconsider the bioballs though... the general consensus is that they tend to be a nitrate factory as the tank matures.

OP
OP
rybitski

rybitski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the live rock in last week (been super busy and haven't had time to upload pictures). For some reason my LEDs on the right side of the left door are nor turning on. I need to take it apart and figure out what is wrong. But i really like the effect it creates on the door. Unfortunately the camera does a terrible job of photographing it. In person it is a much more even light. I still need to get the 20g tank drilled and plumbed before I can move on to building the canopy.
DSCF2354.jpg

DSCF2356.jpg

DSCF2348.jpg

DSCF2355.jpg

I still have not set the 20g on the stand yet, keep in mind that is a 15g that is just sitting there for the time being.

Thanks for the interest guys! I will try my best to keep the pictures coming.

swannyson7
Looks good! You may want to reconsider the bioballs though... the general consensus is that they tend to be a nitrate factory as the tank matures​

What filtration configuration would you recommend?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally, I'd say swap the wet/dry out for a sump, but that's not to say that a wet/dry filter with bioballs won't work. Many people have had success with a similar setup, but over time the bioballs tend to become caked with detritus and become counterproductive.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back