Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 1 1/2 months old so far.

Biocube 14

Filtration:
Pump - Cobolt Aquatics MJ900
Filter Basket by InTank
Filter Media - PhosGuard, ChemiPure Elite, Purigen, Fluval sponge (changed to filter fiber - poly fill), Algone

Water Maintenance:
Hydrofill ATO TI

Substrate:
20 lbs Gulf live sand from Gulfliverock

Live Rock:
17 lbs Premium live rock from Gulfliverock.com

Salt:
Fritz PRO RPM salt

Heater:
Cobolt Aquatics Neo-therm 50 watt

Additional Water Movement:
Current USA 6000 eFlux wave kit

Lighting:
Nano Box Mini M

lighting cycle:

Morning - start at 6:30, length - 150 minutes, morning ramp 90 minutes
Royal blue - 60%
White/lime - 5%
Violet - 70%
Cyan/blue - 60%
moonlight 0
Fan 86

Midday - ramp 90 minutes
Royal blue -80%
White/lime - 30%
Violet - 90%
Cyan/Blue - 80%
moonlight 0
Fan 86

Evening - length 180 minutes, evening ramp 90 minutes
Royal blue - 60%
White/lime - 15%
Violet - 60%
Cyan/blue - 55%
moonlight - 3
Fan 85

Night - start at 7:30, ramp 60 minutes
Royal blue - 5.5%
White/lime - 0%
Violet - 0%
Cyan/blue - 0%
moonlight -1.5
Fan 0

acan frags.jpg

happy mushroom.jpg

Tnk update 11-29-17.JPG

OP
OP
Duane Clark

Duane Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It's a work in progress. lol Not real pleased with the mystery paly I have in upper right corner. I have moved it up 3 times and it still stretches. Lights are not at peak yet BUT just not what I thought. I thought it would be more like a larger zoa. I am running a nanobox mini tide light that is supposed to be cranking our about 250 PAR in the direct center (I don't have a par meter to really check though) so just not sure why the necks are so long.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are palys with long stalks, doesn't mean there stretching. We have a colony and I actually like them. I wouldn't worry about them at all.

OP
OP
Duane Clark

Duane Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me forever...I am not very handy at these kind of things but removed all my resin media and installed a chaeto reactor. Just using carbon and filter floss otherwise. Wish me luck. :)

Before and after pics (yeah...it was way too messy)

before.jpg

chaeto reactor.jpg

OP
OP
Duane Clark

Duane Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto reactor has been up just short of a week. Nitrates are already zero and diatoms are almost gone as well as algae. thought I would post a pic of the tank. 3 months old. everything appears to be doing well

full tank 2-2-18.JPG

NanoDad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow man this looks great. Can you explain how you built the cheato reactor?

OP
OP
Duane Clark

Duane Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow man this looks great. Can you explain how you built the cheato reactor?

Sure, it was a piece of cake. components are a standard media reactor, small pump, about 10 feet of 1/2 in ID tubing, and some LED lights. (and some chaeto of course). I purchased a kit from Marine depot to make it easy on myself and just added 5 ft of tubing (it comes with 5 ft already). I will say that I had to purchase some additional elbows so I could make a retuen back to my nano cubes return chamber (chamber 3). otherwise the hose would crimp when making the curve into the tank.

The LED's are standard white so I may get some red but right now it seems to be working great. I have noticed my tank temp increased by about .5 degrees as a result of the lights and possibly the slightly larger pump than I had in there previously.

OP
OP
Duane Clark

Duane Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the tank is at the 4 month mark. Everything seems to be running fairly smoothly. I am having some challenges with alkalinity though. It is NOT very stable. It drops fairly considerably each week. This last test was 7.1. previous week was 7.5, the week prior was in low 8's. I have been adding sodium bicarb per the BRS calculator but it still drops. After this last result of 7.1, I have been a bit more aggressive increasing it over the past couple days. I also increased my kalk in my ATO to 1 1/4 tsp per gallon of fresh RO/DI. It is now sitting at 8.9. pH has been solid at 8.1 for some time so I am not worried about that.

One thing I did notice, and I think these are valuable observations for my continued education and that is as my alk has been dropping my calcium has been increasing. I believe that is due to the corals inability to use the available calcium when the alk drops. I also notice my paly's and one specific zoa appear to be very good visual indicators of alk. as the alk dropped around 7.5 they started to close. at 7.1 they closed completely and would not open. as soon as I raised the alk back up to 8.9...boom...they opened right back up gain.

Here is the 4 month tank pic Fancy and spike hid when I tried to take the pic but they are still there.

tank 4 months.JPG

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations, beautiful nano:)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back