dumb things you've done in the hobby

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's my thing so one Saturday morning i was doing a water change on my planted tank and instead of adding seachem prime i added seachem nitrogen and all my shrimp
died and that's why you check that your actually adding declorinator

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not starting off with a larger tank in the beginning. ;)

*Not to be taken seriously...lol"

...But seriously, I'm ready to upgrade to a 500 gal DT (not counting fuge/sump). :D

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about your shrimp. My list would be way to long to go through all of the fish-related mistakes that I have made over the past 40 years. Probably the biggest mistake that I almost made was when I nearly quit the hobby for good. I now have so many friends and have learned so many important life lessons that I would not be who I am without the great fish and reef community that I am blessed to be a part of.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first water change I removed 5G of saltwater and added 5G of RODI with no salt. WHY? I have no idea. Nothing died fish still alive lol

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to buy new equipment when it first came out - quickly realized this is rarely an upgrade. Used to sell stuff really cheap (or free) and think that I was doing people a favor only to find my stuff on Craigslist or another marketplace for full retail a day later.

Last edited:

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used the wrong silicone, oh boy lost almost all livestock’s. Many other dumb stuffs, don’t even want to or too long to list. Just like in real life, you learned from your mistakes, and move on. Hopefully it was a positive “negative” experience.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't like when these posts come up because it takes me down a memory lane of stupidity.

I've done a lot of dumb things.

Lightspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, putting my faith in and expecting the same level of ethics from the operator of my chosen LFS as i have.;Meh
Hmm one day i will learn that after the sale, business operators are interested in one thing only and that's the next person and the next sale and no amount of purchasing at a single business changes that.

When i say i will do something i do it, when my LFS operator says the same thing and doesn't follow through, I have to take my business elsewhere and that makes me :mad:.

What happened to genuine small business owners/operators ? do they not know we can shop from a major retailer at the click of a mouse button? better prices, free postage, coupon codes, event sales, uuuggghhh i'm over trying to build rapport and spending 10 grand to get it.

OP
OP
Lemon

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly i'm lucky to have a good lfs
LOL, putting my faith in and expecting the same level of ethics from the operator of my chosen LFS as i have.;Meh
Hmm one day i will learn that after the sale, business operators are interested in one thing only and that's the next person and the next sale and no amount of purchasing at a single business changes that.

When i say i will do something i do it, when my LFS operator says the same thing and doesn't follow through, I have to take my business elsewhere and that makes me :mad:.

What happened to genuine small business owners/operators ? do they not know we can shop from a major retailer at the click of a mouse button? better prices, free postage, coupon codes, event sales, uuuggghhh i'm over trying to build rapport and spending 10 grand to get it.

Back