Duncan Behavior

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my BioCube14 established for just over one year. I've had this duncan for almost a year and it has grown from one polyp to seven. Any ideas as to what's going on with it, now? The original polyp in the center is gaping and the center polyp tentacles are disappearing. Is this part of the growth process or is there something seriously wrong?

upload_2017-1-4_22-5-17.png

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa! I wouldn't put my hand in the tank bout now;).

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's weird alright, but a pretty cool growth pattern. Not sure what's going on there. What are you parameters? Alk, Ca, Mg ect ect.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've had my BioCube14 established for just over one year. I've had this duncan for almost a year and it has grown from one polyp to seven. Any ideas as to what's going on with it, now? The original polyp in the center is gaping and the center polyp tentacles are disappearing. Is this part of the growth process or is there something seriously wrong?

upload_2017-1-4_22-5-17.png
Lol agree growth pattern is pretty neat! As for the mouth gaping, not sure. Sometimes with euphyllia, this phenomenon would occur, later resulting in a split between mouths. The other heads imo look fine.

OP
OP
TetoCCB

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's weird alright, but a pretty cool growth pattern. Not sure what's going on there. What are you parameters? Alk, Ca, Mg ect ect.

Parameters are good... Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates are 0 (plenty of hair algae)... Ca: 400, Alk: 8.2, Mg: 1340...

OP
OP
TetoCCB

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol agree growth pattern is pretty neat! As for the mouth gaping, not sure. Sometimes with euphyllia, this phenomenon would occur, later resulting in a split between mouths. The other heads imo look fine.

This one is my pride and joy... a split would be awesome!...

Today, the opening is larger and the tentacles on the center polyp appear to have been resorbed...

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird growth. Where is it in the tank, how much flow and lighting. Can you get it to close up so you can see the skeletal growth. I have two Duncans high in the tank with lots of flow and light. They are about 2 years old started with 2 heads each and both are over 50 heads. They will close up sometimes for a day or two and sometimes 2-5 times a day and other days it never closes. Watch for pest and make sure everything stays stable

OP
OP
TetoCCB

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird growth. Where is it in the tank, how much flow and lighting. Can you get it to close up so you can see the skeletal growth. I have two Duncans high in the tank with lots of flow and light. They are about 2 years old started with 2 heads each and both are over 50 heads. They will close up sometimes for a day or two and sometimes 2-5 times a day and other days it never closes. Watch for pest and make sure everything stays stable

It's on a rock in the lower half of the tank under Current USA LEDs (replaced the BioCube14 compact fluorescents) with moderate, alternating flow (2 Jebao PP-4s)...

When it closes, the skeleton is not visible... just the gummy looking tissue as seen in the pics above...

How did your polyps multiply?... Budding or splitting?... Mine grew six buds around the original polyp...

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's on a rock in the lower half of the tank under Current USA LEDs (replaced the BioCube14 compact fluorescents) with moderate, alternating flow (2 Jebao PP-4s)...

When it closes, the skeleton is not visible... just the gummy looking tissue as seen in the pics above...

How did your polyps multiply?... Budding or splitting?... Mine grew six buds around the original polyp...
budding never seen them split. Duncans are usually pretty hardy so if it goes 4 days without changing and all the other heads keep looking fine I would not worry. Watch for pest and fish that maybe bothering it. I had a matted file fish that bothered my cup coral and the duncans but nothing else.

CenlaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a cool, very neat growth pattern. I have never seen a duncan grow that uniform before. My impression is that the colony may be splitting, yet I have never heard of that happening with duncans.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back