Duncan coral- any hope

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190815_133648.jpg

I got it on monday when i put it in my tank it was closed up, so i kept it onthe bottom for a day but it never opened and i was worried some of my angelfish or filefish pecked it so i moved it somewhere towards up where the fish normally dont go and it was fine and started opening up and then i found it like this a couple of hours later and im not sure why. I think i stupidly shocked it with light arghh, but i dont know its back on the bottom now and corals around it when i moved it where just montiporas. Is there any hope for it. I have another tank to.move it to but im worried as its stressed and due to there being quite a few bristlworms in the other tank it may just get eaten by them. Any help is appreciated and i know i shouldnt have moved it up too soon, but silly me.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found Duncan's to be incredibly sensitive. I've had some that grow like weeds and for no apparent reason, go downhill, even when other Duncan's in the same tank continue to thrive.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, duncans are extremely hardy and grow very quickly, but if something is consistently pecking at it (in my case it was a Foxface), they won't tolerate it for long before going downhill. I was able to get the Foxface out when there was just a little bleaching on the stock, heads still looked 100% healthy but the dang thing still went downhill and lost the entire colony. Hope you have better luck.

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found Duncan's to be incredibly sensitive. I've had some that grow like weeds and for no apparent reason, go downhill, even when other Duncan's in the same tank continue to thrive.
Thats a bummer
They hate my son's tank, and love mine. Same with torches.
I havent been too lucky with lps either, especially after bjd. Hope they do better for your son
In my experience, duncans are extremely hardy and grow very quickly, but if something is consistently pecking at it (in my case it was a Foxface), they won't tolerate it for long before going downhill. I was able to get the Foxface out when there was just a little bleaching on the stock, heads still looked 100% healthy but the dang thing still went downhill and lost the entire colony. Hope you have better luck.
Thanks, i tried catching the filefish because ive another tank full of aiptasia he can go to, i think hes kinda bored which may be why he was nipping at it, but ive never caught him nipping it just looks like he had or was about to, so i cant say for certain

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say the Duncan's in your pic look very receded, not just closed up. Duncan's will close up, but not typically to the point you can see exposed skeleton.

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say the Duncan's in your pic look very receded, not just closed up. Duncan's will close up, but not typically to the point you can see exposed skeleton.
Yea it was closed up and went to receeded in about an hour or 2 ( idk how long cause i was doing something else before i realised)

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multibar and a coral beauty, also have a bristletail filefish and everything else is anthias and wrasses and a fang blenny and a mandarin

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not looking good :( first off ,, I would move it to the other tank ,, yesterday ,, your not going to make it any worse than it already is ,, if a fish is messing with it ,, moving it will take care of that problem ,, when / if ,, its starts to do better,, it might get attacked again ,, I would feed it some food ,, not much ,, its not going to eat much ,, if any ,, but give it some anyway ,, if it will take some food ,, thats a good thing ,, you won't see it eat ,, just let the food sit there ,, you might need to do the coke bottle trick ,, to keep fish and crabs from getting the food ,, Duncans are pretty hardy ,, don't give up on it yet ,, if you are feeding pellet food ,, just mash it into a powder and let that sit on top of the Duncan ,, its not ,, I would think ,, going to eat a pellet at this point ,, getting it to take in a bit of powdered food is the best you can hope for at this point ,,

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back