Duncan not opening

Cranstons12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently moved my tank to another room. I kept 90% of the water and now its either not opening or wont open all the way. Has about 5-6 heads. Was told on another site to do an iodine dip(?). Any suggestions on how to perk it back up?

20231230_091915.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Duncan that grew very well but occasionally it would close up especially when it was bothered (like moving it).

Eventually it would get happy and continue growing. When it got to 50 heads or so it would sometimes stay closed for long periods of time but it kept growing on the way. I eventually took it to the LFS because it was taking over the corner and I got tired of fragging it.

OP
OP
C

Cranstons12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Duncan that grew very well but occasionally it would close up especially when it was bothered (like moving it).

Eventually it would get happy and continue growing. When it got to 50 heads or so it would sometimes stay closed for long periods of time but it kept growing on the way. I eventually took it to the LFS because it was taking over the corner and I got tired of fragging it.
Mines been half open/closed for about 2 weeks now. Normally it would b open and the flow didn't seem to bother it

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines been half open/closed for about 2 weeks now. Normally it would b open and the flow didn't seem to bother it
If the new flow is keeping it closed it might take awhile for it to get used to the location. It’s not completely closed in the picture so I would leave it there and let it adjust to the new flow. It can still get few by drifting food items and it should be good in the long term. It may grow faster and expand more in the future once it gets settled in.

OP
OP
C

Cranstons12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the new flow is keeping it closed it might take awhile for it to get used to the location. It’s not completely closed in the picture so I would leave it there and let it adjust to the new flow. It can still get few by drifting food items and it should be good in the long term. It may grow faster and expand more in the future once it gets settled in.
So should i just leave it alone and let it do its own thing?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should i just leave it alone and let it do its own thing?
Yes, I think it will adapt and be happy when it does. Moving coral around is not what happens in nature on a good day. They settle and grow in the same place until a hurricane or coral collector knocks them off. Adjusting to new locations takes energy and slows growth while they adjust to new light and current environments.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back