Duncan coral closing when blues come on...?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jrco226
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jrco226

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 5, 2016
Messages
333
Reaction score
169
Location
Lexington, KY
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, thanks for the input in advance. I picked up this Duncan coral about a week ago and it's been doing great. However, the past 2 nights I have noticed that when my Kessil 360 starts to ramp down the coral seems shocked in a sense. Water parameters have been good, checked the other day, in the process of testing now. Any ideas since this has only occurred over the past couple of nights?

6a01c5aef9e967491b2bde407d10d1f3.jpg
 
Hey everyone, thanks for the input in advance. I picked up this Duncan coral about a week ago and it's been doing great. However, the past 2 nights I have noticed that when my Kessil 360 starts to ramp down the coral seems shocked in a sense. Water parameters have been good, checked the other day, in the process of testing now. Any ideas since this has only occurred over the past couple of nights?

6a01c5aef9e967491b2bde407d10d1f3.jpg
Mine always do that. I think it's pretty normal.
 
I didn't figure it was anything big just curious as to why it would start after being in the tank for few days. Thanks for the input.
 
Mine do the same at first when the light switches to night. But after a little it comes back out. I wouldn't be to worried.
 
Mine do the same as well, no worries
 
Mine do the same. I thought it was because my peppermint shrimp start to come out more at that time, and were disturbing them. I've seen the shrimp dig food away from them. Glad to hear it may just be a lightning thing. I thought I read that duncans should be opened day and night. Jrco226 do you have shrimp? If so have you seen them around your duncans?
 
No I don't have any shrimp. I've only had my setup running for a few months now. Have a pair of clowns and some snails. Haven't noticed them on the coral though. First saltwater tanks so still trying to get a handle on all the information. Glad to have this site! I've read the same about Duncans constantly being open but then you also hear about a bunch of people who say theirs close at night. Haven't been home today to see how it's looking but I'll upload a picture if it's back to normal for comparison.
 
Ive always wondered about that with my torch coral. it sucks up once the lights ramp past 17K ish.
Completely healthy the next day when its more "white" light
 
That's odd how all of yours retract right away! Mine gets very happy and thinks its feeding time with the blues on. But that could be because I feed my corals at that time every night!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new