Duncan coral has growth on it?

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a previous thread but no one really answered and my problem still persists I haven't seen my duncan open in over a week.
1710778823157.png

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's your question exactly? are you asking why the duncan won't open? If so, give us your water parameters, lighting and flow equipment rundown.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see - can you provide a closer up photo of the "worm like thing"?

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's your question exactly? are you asking why the duncan won't open? If so, give us your water parameters, lighting and flow equipment rundown.
looks like a worm like growth. My flow, lighting and params have not changed with weekly tests and it has always been happy. My question is more of if it looks like there is a pest on it.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at those photos but it's hard to see what the issue is honestly, so if you can post more closeups later that might help

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has this tank been set up? The diatoms on the rockwork suggest it's a fairly new setup. Posting full parameters and full tank shot as well as clear, focused pic of the worm-like growth would be helpful.

Baby Damsel 219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lighting may be too bright. The polyps are retracting into the stem. They can do well with med/high-flow. What are the Parameters?

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worm like things aren’t there but it looks like the skeleton may have some damage. In one of the pictures it does have longer stringy piece.

Params are
.10 phosphate
7.9 ph
0 nitrate
0 ammonia
1.023 salinity
10 alk
440 calcium

No param swings since I’ve set up the tank
No changes in lighting other than turning down my whites 2 weeks ago. Flow is the same

Attachments

• IMG_9829.jpeg
    IMG_9829.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9828.jpeg
    IMG_9828.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9827.jpeg
    IMG_9827.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 14

Baby Damsel 219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also said you switched the light. Has it turned like this since the moment you switch the light? If so give it back its light. The par on the white color may not meet its likings. Also I may be crabs

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try opening the windows to raise the pH. The pH should be 8.0-8.5
Will do however I do not think the parameters are the problem like I’ve specified before it is a pest issue is what I’m concerned about. I have many other coral in there including finicky species such as torches and gonis and they are all doing fine and my Duncan has been doing fine until a week ago when I saw there was a few weird stringy things coming from the skeleton.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also said you switched the light. Has it turned like this since the moment you switch the light? If so give it back its light. The par on the white color may not meet its likings. Also I may be crabs
I turned down the white the blue is very high. I only have hermits and I have never noticed them messing with anything else before.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some measurable nitrate. I assume this tank is fairly new?

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this tank is only 3 months old. I assume nitrate is higher than it actually says I have api tests. I have never once been able to measure nitrate with api test had my other tank setup for a year where that Duncan was in it and it was doing fine and did fine in this tank the last 3 months. I’m thinking more of a pest problem or maybe growing a new head but I’m not sure. Should I maybe try to dip it.

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ph is not the issue here…

My Duncan looked like that with a month of 0 nutrients. Didn’t see any stringing, but other LPS had die off like that. My torch died but my Duncan lived once I started dosing nutrients. Mine is in low light and has been placed in varying amounts of flow. My guess is the nutrients, and may have gotten some kind of infection after being stressed from 0 nitrates.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph is not the issue here…

My Duncan looked like that with a month of 0 nutrients. Didn’t see any stringing, but other LPS had die off like that. My torch died but my Duncan lived once I started dosing nutrients. Mine is in low light and has been placed in varying amounts of flow. My guess is the nutrients, and may have gotten some kind of infection after being stressed from 0 nitrates.
Could be I think the nitrate is higher than the tests say tho because I have nutrients in my tank or I wouldn’t be also battling gha. I need to get a different test kit for nitrates.

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could be I think the nitrate is higher than the tests say tho because I have nutrients in my tank or I wouldn’t be also battling gha. I need to get a different test kit for nitrates.
That was my problem too. I had so much gha, it was starving out the corals.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back