Duncan coral issue?

W Haymaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I've had a one head Duncan Coral since June of 2018. I would say during the first three months the tentacles were out and looked good. Since then I have really given it up for dead. That's obviously a long tim however it has always remained green in the center and it portrudes ever so slightly that it's even hard to get a visual.

Given that, is there any recommendations to maybe help recover it? I'd also accept the fact that people might say you're seeing things! I'm attaching kind of a worthless picture (too blue) but curious if anyone's encountered this for such a long period of time and maybe suggestions. I have not moved it for over 6 months but I've tried four different places.

IMG_20200127_142548.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, I deplete Iodine at a pretty good clip even though I do biweekly WCs of salt stated to have .06 of Iodine.

For a while, I kinda forgot about this and never replaced my empty bottle of Lugols that i would casually dose every week or two. Around Christmas, my 50-60 head duncan was being fussy, not fully extending. I sent out an ICP test early January. Came back with 0.000 Iodine.

Bought some Lugols and an Iodine test kit. Duncan is happy again. Might be your issue, might not.

Some folks here have suggested that zoanthids consume Iodine and I do have a few acres of that around. Duncans clearly need some to be present.

OP
OP
W Haymaker

W Haymaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both. I know I typically run very low on nitrates and test about every three weeks unless I have a delay in water changes or something is not looking right. But I during this time I just don't measure much on nitrate either.

The iodine is interesting as well. I was ordering a coral view finder so I added a test kit and Lugols as well. Looks like it's rated quite well. I have a few acres less than you in zoas (haha) but a healthy chunk of them that are doing well.

I use instant ocean reef crystals and will have to search a bit more but struggled to find details on the current iodine levels. Regardless I'm making a run at it. Should be a good challenge especially being dormant that long if I can pull it off. I'll post back with any results

OP
OP
W Haymaker

W Haymaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, I deplete Iodine at a pretty good clip even though I do biweekly WCs of salt stated to have .06 of Iodine.

For a while, I kinda forgot about this and never replaced my empty bottle of Lugols that i would casually dose every week or two. Around Christmas, my 50-60 head duncan was being fussy, not fully extending. I sent out an ICP test early January. Came back with 0.000 Iodine.

Bought some Lugols and an Iodine test kit. Duncan is happy again. Might be your issue, might not.

Some folks here have suggested that zoanthids consume Iodine and I do have a few acres of that around. Duncans clearly need some to be present.

I've been adding drops of Lugols since January 29th. Nothing dramatic as of yet however some of the flesh is starting to extend just a bit more outward. A bit more color as well. There has definitely been a positive change so looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Also hoping the anemone behaves next to it.

IMG_20200217_104703.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been adding drops of Lugols since January 29th. Nothing dramatic as of yet however some of the flesh is starting to extend just a bit more outward. A bit more color as well. There has definitely been a positive change so looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Also hoping the anemone behaves next to it.

IMG_20200217_104703.jpg

In the pic that nem looks a bit too close for comfort.

How are you for nitrates & phosphates now? Everybody needs some available.

Lastly, if the duncan is having a particularly good day of extension, you can grab a mysis shrimp with some tweezers and see if it will latch on to a shrimp. I used to do that when it had only a handful of heads and it grew rapidly then.

OP
OP
W Haymaker

W Haymaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates at about 0-5 ppm. Coloring hard to differentiate at times on my test kit. Phosphates I have never tested though. Looking at obtaining a Hanna checker for it in the next month or two for a 2nd tank I started. I have had a 50 gallon tank cycling in the basement over the last 1.5 months and eventually all the coral and the clam will make their way there from this 25 gallon tank. The 25 has a few coral, a derasa clam, and about 30 anemones. More splits than expected but what I want overall in the 25.

No mysis on hand but maybe some BRS reef chili in the meantime.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates at about 0-5 ppm. Coloring hard to differentiate at times on my test kit. Phosphates I have never tested though. Looking at obtaining a Hanna checker for it in the next month or two for a 2nd tank I started. I have had a 50 gallon tank cycling in the basement over the last 1.5 months and eventually all the coral and the clam will make their way there from this 25 gallon tank. The 25 has a few coral, a derasa clam, and about 30 anemones. More splits than expected but what I want overall in the 25.

No mysis on hand but maybe some BRS reef chili in the meantime.

Roger that. Sounds like a plan. Wave in the Hanna for sure. I have one system that runs too clean, and one that runs real dirty so I am testing each at least weekly. Phosphate checker is fine. I you are running super low nutrient, you are better with the Phosphorus one to get parts per billion. (Convert to PO4 by multiplying by 3.0661, then divide by 1,000 to get ppm.)

And darnit, have some fun!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back