Duncan coral spawning…?

Edgecrusher28

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 22, 2022
Messages
256
Reaction score
139
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*This was a Trumpet coral, not a Duncan; I’m stupid*

I was randomly checking in on the tank before calling it a night and noticed what I thought was my Trumpet coral spawning. It was releasing what looked like smoke, just like I have seen from snails dozens of times, but this time it was out of the mouth of a duncan. Any specific triggers for this? From what Ive gathered this only happens maybe a few times a year. First it was a chalice eating a Lepto frag and now this, things have been interesting as of late.
 
*This was a Trumpet coral, not a Duncan; I’m stupid*

I was randomly checking in on the tank before calling it a night and noticed what I thought was my Trumpet coral spawning. It was releasing what looked like smoke, just like I have seen from snails dozens of times, but this time it was out of the mouth of a duncan. Any specific triggers for this? From what Ive gathered this only happens maybe a few times a year. First it was a chalice eating a Lepto frag and now this, things have been interesting as of late.
I know for a lot of corals, lighting (both daytime and nighttime lighting) and temperature seem to be the main triggers. That said, there are a number of different triggers that may play a role (I'm not sure for trumpet corals specifically which ones would matter):

"The triggers for spawning involve a variety of environmental signals, including daylight hours, water temperature4,5, wind speed6, moonlight7, tides8,9 and hours after sunset10, with cues operating on increasingly fine temporal scales."*

If you know the triggers and can control them well enough, you may be able to get the corals spawning out of season.

*Source:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-03175-2
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new