Duncan coral spawning…?

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*This was a Trumpet coral, not a Duncan; I’m stupid*

I was randomly checking in on the tank before calling it a night and noticed what I thought was my Trumpet coral spawning. It was releasing what looked like smoke, just like I have seen from snails dozens of times, but this time it was out of the mouth of a duncan. Any specific triggers for this? From what Ive gathered this only happens maybe a few times a year. First it was a chalice eating a Lepto frag and now this, things have been interesting as of late.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*This was a Trumpet coral, not a Duncan; I’m stupid*

I was randomly checking in on the tank before calling it a night and noticed what I thought was my Trumpet coral spawning. It was releasing what looked like smoke, just like I have seen from snails dozens of times, but this time it was out of the mouth of a duncan. Any specific triggers for this? From what Ive gathered this only happens maybe a few times a year. First it was a chalice eating a Lepto frag and now this, things have been interesting as of late.
I know for a lot of corals, lighting (both daytime and nighttime lighting) and temperature seem to be the main triggers. That said, there are a number of different triggers that may play a role (I'm not sure for trumpet corals specifically which ones would matter):

"The triggers for spawning involve a variety of environmental signals, including daylight hours, water temperature4,5, wind speed6, moonlight7, tides8,9 and hours after sunset10, with cues operating on increasingly fine temporal scales."*

If you know the triggers and can control them well enough, you may be able to get the corals spawning out of season.

*Source:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back