Duncan harassed by cleaner shrimp. Is it bad?

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
My duncan is keeping his polyps more and more retracted everyday since I added a cleaner shrimp. I did see the shrimp irritating the duncan during feeding time but I did not expect such a bad reaction.
Do you think it's going to get adapted to it at some point or it will eventually die if I keep things as they are now?
I have limited possibilities to act at the moment because I am leaving the tank in "autopilot" mode for one week and I don't have time to set up another tank. Any suggestions?

16672977385577671633702028026623.jpg

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp are notoriously aggressive. Once they realize they can score a free meal from your LPS...they will relentless harass them until they puke out a meal. I no longer keep them as entertaining as they are.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it’s the cleaner? Duncan’s are said to be one of the first corals to react to tank parameters.
I cannot tell for sure that the reason why the duncan looks like that is the shrimp. But I did see the shrimp harassing the duncan only. Other corals look fine in general. Parameters are ok:
Alk 8
NO3 5ppm
PO4 0.08 ppm
Ca 400 ppm
Mg 1500 ppm

To me it seems quite good. The only thing that changed as well is pH that seems for some reason lower than usual (now hovering around 7.9, before was around 8.1. But I definitely keep windows closed more because winter is approaching.
I'd say the shrimp is the cause most likely. For few days the duncan had kind of "chubby" tentacles, as if its is trying to protect them

Trandyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner does the same thing. Duncan and others aren't super happy about it. But doesn't seem to have any adverse affects. I've tried feeding him first and getting him distracted while trying to spot feed the corals. Ends up being a sword fight with my syringe, as he attacks the reef roids in it.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a bubble tip anemone from a cleaner shrimp harassing it. Bta was great, added a cleaner shrimp, noticed the shrimp constantly pecking in/on the anemone, the bta declined until it started floating around the tank, I'm thinking to try to get a spot away from the shrimp, but alas, it's only a tank and the shrimp found it instantly. Then either the bta tried to spit itself and failed or the shrimp ripped it open , RIP pretty bta. I also have a Duncan that's looking just like yours, mostly closed, so I bet the shrimp it up to it again.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had cleaner shrimp off and on for sixteen years, no problems. This go around it was one of the first cuc. No problems with corals and I have a duncan. Earlier this year I bought my first rfa, loved it was ready to go back to my lfs and by the other 3. Shortly after putting in the tank the cleaner shrimp unrelentingly began picking at non stop making it ball up and close. It moved a couple times before it disappeared for good.

NickE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner shrimp loves to mess with the Duncan I have. It retracts like that frequently at night and then after lights are on for an hour or so blossom out again. If I target feed my Duncan I need to spray some food elsewhere and guard it because the shrimp goes after it.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncans close up pretty easily so if something brushed against them I wouldn't be suprised

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back