Dunked Apex base unit in a bucket of water during tank move - repairable?

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously the unit won't power up. I'm wondering if it's worth sending to Neptune for a paid repair? Seems very unlikely that they can repair water damage but I'd figured I'd ask before spending another $400 on a base unit. (of course I dunked the most expensive thing possible)

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch! You tried to power it?
Did you rinse it, dry it or anything before that?

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch! You tried to power it?
Did you rinse it, dry it or anything before that?
Dried it only. It was freshwater at least.

Neptune said to just send it in and see what they can salvage, they are sure it will be cheaper than buying new. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
Not that it will help you any my suggestion was to call or send a email/ticket and see what they say which you already did.

If it makes you feel any better, it won't, but I actually dropped my LED into my tank. I was hanging it, asked for help, daughter said yes, one minute, my impatience kicked in and tried to do it myself...she entered the room to help and much to her surprise she saw my face as I muttered O POO and rushed to help fish it out. While I mumbled she was quick enough to take it to the RO/DI spare water and dunked it again to rinse the salt out of it. Lucky enough it was a DIY piece and only the chip and connectors so the rinse worked out ok.

Neptune has great support so all the best on the end repair cost.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back