Dwarf Angelfish in 40 gallon

kraken14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any dwarf angelfish that would be happy in a 40 gallon nuvo fusion tank? I would like to add one to my stocking list, but I want to make sure it would be a good fit for the tank size. I like flame angels and potters angels, but I feel that they may be too large for my tank. Would a cherub angel be happy in a tank this size?

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherub or african flameback angels stay small enough that they should work. Know that they are tough little angels and can bully other, less robust inhabitants.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cherubs, african flambacks, multicolored, and blue dwarf? i think its called that. its navy with a yellow tail.
But all those stay about or under 3 inches. Multicolors are really pretty too

OP
OP
kraken14

kraken14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other fish I plan on having is a pair of clowns and a longnose hawkfish. Would aggression be a problem with this stocking list?

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, should be fine. I would avoid things like firefish or dartfish in a smaller tank with them, but those fish are robust enough they should be fine.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
multicolors look really cool, my lfs has a bunch of them in a reef tank and claim they're coral safe, but ehhhh. they claim all angels are coral safe if fed enough :rolleyes:

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People often confuse dwarf and pygmy angels and that is where the confusion comes from. Dwarf Angels range from 4-6 inches (ie Coral Beauty, Flame, Bicolor Potters) and really need a 4 foot long tank for best results, so for the Nuvo they would not work. Pygmy Angels all max out around 3 inches and should be okay in that tank provided it's around 3 feet long. Among the pygmy angels are the cherubfish, flameback and fireball angels, yellowtail and fisher's angels. Of those the cherubfish is probably the best overall bet followed by the fisher's. The flameback tends to be more active and pretty aggressive as is the yellowtail. The multicolor is cool but pricey and is somewhere in size between a pygmy and a dwarf.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back